Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linked RVT changed saved path??

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Linked RVT changed saved path??

I have my suspicions that one of our models (let's call it MODEL-1) was uploaded to an architect's FTP site, then they (the architect) made some changes to MODEL-1, re-linked an RVT from THEIR server location into MODEL-1, saved MODEL-1 and uploaded it back to their FTP site. We then downloaded all of the models (including MODEL-1 that the architect had modified) from the architect's FTP site and overwrote the ones on our network. The reason I say this is because when I opened MODEL-1 from our server, I received a message about a linked file not being found. Upon opening the Manage Links dialog box I noticed that the saved path of the linked RVT was pointing to the architect's server (I know this because the path name was completely different from what we use). So before I go accusing people (not that anyone would admit to downloading our own model from the architect's FTP site), is there ANY possible way for the saved path to auto-magically change on it's own? I really don't see how it could but I figured I'd ask. Just in case.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Linked RVT changed saved path??

Hey Matt!
    I had this same problem with the current project I am working on as well. We had a satellite office helping with this particular project so I assumed that might have something to do with it. We also do not have our Revit server setup as of yet. After digging around on forums and trying to resolve this issue myself I found a fix. I just opened the Arch model detached from central and removed the links re-saved and reloaded. Ever since we haven't had the issue. I have since than updated the Arch model and have let it as is, meaning I haven't manipulated it in any way. I have no idea why the path in our model would re-path to a server elsewhere.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Interesting. And here I was, all set to blame someone for doing something stupid. Thanks for deflating my balloon.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    Interesting. And here I was, all set to blame someone for doing something stupid. Thanks for deflating my balloon.
    Matt (aka M@yhem)
    You can still blame the architects, because they probably deserve it anyway!

See you at theSwamp

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    Well, you still can.
    I think the Arch is to blame (for us anyway), because it is pathed to their server in our model.

Lost_File_Association.png
    Last edited by Jrobker; 2014-08-04 at 05:48 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I *think* I've seen this happen when both our design model and the linked detached arch model link a third model and the arch has their link set to Attachment rather than Overlay. Been a while though, we typically remove all links from their model before linking to ours. Unless we're working with in-house architects, in which case I bludgeon them about the head and shoulders until they change that setting.

Just out of curiosity, why on earth are you sending your model to the architect to modify? I'm impressed that this is the only problem you encountered doing that.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BenSammis View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why on earth are you sending your model to the architect to modify?
    We sent them our model so they could link it into theirs, not modify. Good God, no!

The attachment vs. overlay scenario seems to be the most logical possibility (for what it's worth. still doesn't make much sense as to WHY). I'd like to think our guys are smart enough to NOT download our own file from the architect's FTP site and then overwrite the current model on our network.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I'd think that if they'd overwritten your model with an older version you sent to an architect you'd have noticed all of the lost work along with the screwy links.

As for the attachment/overlay glitch, I'd hazard a guess that whatever bit of code governing the display of links set to attachment is somehow also controlling the settings for the file path. Probably just an oversight on the part of the programmers.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

It happened again! %^*
    When I initially set up a project, I path all the links to our server (As does everyone who uses Revit). How in the @#$% do my links get pathed to a location unbeknownst to it?
    This time it is pathed to the Architects desktop. ugh...
    It's a sweet procedure. The first person who opens the file has to to repath than sync. Than every other user has to Sync, than repath than sync again so the next person can do it.
    Efficient.
    I thought I had it solved.
    Is it something the Architect is doing? It only happens on this project with only the Architectural file.
    Path.png

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jrobker View Post
    It happened again! %^*
    When I initially set up a project, I path all the links to our server (As does everyone who uses Revit). How in the @#$% do my links get pathed to a location unbeknownst to it?
    This time it is pathed to the Architects desktop. ugh...
    It's a sweet procedure. The first person who opens the file has to to repath than sync. Than every other user has to Sync, than repath than sync again so the next person can do it.
    Efficient.
    I thought I had it solved.
    Is it something the Architect is doing? It only happens on this project with only the Architectural file.
    I suspect the "Architect" is "reloading the link from...(desktop location)", saving and sync-ing, and so the next poor b@stard doesn't have that path available and shows not found.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast