Thread: Dumb Callouts in Revit

Login to Give a bone

Default Dumb Callouts in Revit

The project that we are working on right now is in Revit except for the details which are in CAD. I am wanting to callout the details in Revit and edit the detail #/sheet # for each callout, basically I want a "dumb callout". I have looked around to see if I can find out how to make one but I can't find exactly what I am looking for in the callout. The only work around I have found is to create a type for each callout and place them in the model. I understand the best way is to import the details into Revit and reference them; however, due to time constraints and the amount of people in our office that know Revit we will have to keep them separate. We are basically doing one project with 2 programs. The detail sheets will be done and printed in CAD and the Plans, Sections, and Elevations will be done in Revit. If some one has created a "dumb callout" could you post it to this forum so that I can see how you made it.

Thanks for the help,

Matt

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dumb Callouts in Revit

im not getin' the "dumb callout" but this is what we do, at my office to create detail sheets.

You can create a Drafting View (View>Create>Drafting View), name it, set a scale factor, then when you activate the callout tool look at the options bar, mark the "Reference other view" then select the name of the detail you just created.

hope this works for you, if not please can you explain a little more what u want to do.

Revit can't do dumb things, =)

Login to Give a bone

By dumb I mean that I can make the callout say what I want it too without it giving me problems. Currently they are smart callouts because you have to have the view on a page in Revit for it to reference it but since we are doing several pages in CAD I want to reference those pages in Revit. I have been told to just create a dumb sheet meaning throw the details from Revit on that sheet and label them what detail number they will be in CAD and nothing else. Doing it this way will make Revit display the correct detail and sheet number. I was just hoping there was a way that I could make a callout that would allow me to edit it to make it say what I want. I hope this clarified the "dumb" callout.

Thanks,

Matt

Login to Give a bone

Using the drafting view to import my details would be the best practice but due to time constraints and the lack of Revit licenses and people who know how to use Revit is an issue. So that is why I am trying to find a work around.

Thanks,

Matt

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

The only way you can make a "dumb" callout is to use the "reference other view" option.

This still means you have to place a view named as the view you want to reference.

This leaves you with the only option of creating a drafting view, calling it "SECTION 5" and making sure when you place it on a sheet it's called up as section 5. (for example)
    You can place a single line in the detail view, in an unprintable layer, it just needs to be PLACED ON A DUMMY SHEET.
    The DUMMY SHEET (created in revit) must have the same drawing number as your CAD DETAIL sheet.

The dummy sheet never gets printed or issued, its just so revit has a sheet number to callout and you have somewhere to drop your drafting views so as your callouts match.

This allows you to place a section or detail marker that does not use live modelled objects to create a view.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Make an Annotation Symbol that looks like the smart callouts.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

It looks like I'm just going to say what was said in a few different places already, but this is how I do it.

I do most of my Details in AutoCAD an then link them into a detail view. If I need to create a reference on in a detail view I put in the section marker and have it either crate a new detail view or tell it to reference another when you set it up. (it would seem to me that you can only reference another view only when you set it up, not after you placed the section marker) Then I just place the details on a Revit sheet.

This way I can keep my AutoCAD libary intact for any AutoCAD projects, I don't have to cheat a sheet index in Revit, and I don't have to worry if I move a view to another page. Kind of a win win situation because I don't have to upkeep 2 standards as much. Ex. I make changes to a standard AutoCAD detail and it will automatically update in a the Revit detail rather than have to make the changes twice, found out I forgot something in one, and then do it 4 more times before they are both the same....

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

My company uses 'dumb' callout family for most of our keynoting, which is mostly a hangover from ye-olde-autocad-days.

It's just an annotation symbol, with a number and the keynote text, which is normally hidden. You set up family types for each type of note. It's not fancy, but it's practical. You use the same family for your legends as your keynotes, so there is always a perfect correlation.

This method has the benefit of being able to update or renumber ALL instances of a note in a project at the family type level. (e.g. all (04) 'Demo Wall Finish' keynotes are now (06) 'Demo Wall (e) Finish and Insulation.

(Also: It's not a Revit keynote, and it's not a Revit tag, so we call it a 'keytag'.)

Hope this helps demonstrate one way of doing it.

btw: This is something of a trivial annotation family to make, so please make your own if you are using it commercially. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Hello, not sure if this helps.

We have a different situation where we need to reference views from another linked Revit model.

In the process, we created a Dummy Callout Boundary and Dummy Tag to suffice.

Link to screencast provided.
    https://screencast.autodesk.com/main...1-f6187d23bf41

Cheers
    Joaquim

Login to Give a bone

You don't have to use dumb call out for this purpose. Creating a blank sheet to match the linked file sheet number. After this create a drafting view with some graphic and drag it on the sheet you just created. Numbering it to match the link file and making a call out that reference to this drafting view. There you have it: the smart call out.