Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom Area Types, Modifying Default Area Types

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Custom Area Types, Modifying Default Area Types

Is there a way to add Area Types? Is there a way that I can change rules for the default types and create new types with different rules? Not Area Settings, actual Types.

Hopefully, I have not missed this in the older posts I reviewed. I can generally accomplish what I want for everything except BOMA areas using parameters, names and alternate color fill schemes. I understand how this works. I am hoping for an answer specific to changing the default BOMA area types and adding a few new ones, not a work-around. The default OOTB types are not correct and it's causing extra steps to get the information out of Revit into a spreadsheet created for the 1996 BOMA / ANSI standard.

There is no type for Gross Measured Area (different from Gross Building Area). To get the earliest Rentable Area calculations, this is important. There is no type for Floor Usable Area (often, in early phases, we are not interested in whether it is Store, Office or Building Common Area). Since Floor Area appears to be technically Floor Common Area (based on the boundary), it is named incorrectly and could be confused with Floor Usable Area. I can schedule Floor Usable Area with a calculated parameter but I cannot select the type correctly unless I arbitrarily assign one that's a default. There is nothing for Residential work - since BOMA does not have a standard, our developers make different decisions about whether to count balconies, how to calculate corridors, what to do in multi-use Retail/Office/Condo developments and more.

I am happy to make the corrections and additions myself but cannot figure out where it is.

Besides, it makes me nuts that only Office area has a lower case a.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by phyllisr; 2006-03-10 at 06:15 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Custom Area Types, Modifying Default Area Types

There is much to your post, I will only say a few things, and hopefully some of it may help you...

The automatic boundary lines can't be modified (at least currenlty) and only improvements to the software can help most of what you addressed.

but you can create various Area schemes (yes under Area Settings , and manually pick walls (locking them) to the centers or edges. This way you can create the "Gross Measured Area" and manually select the boundaries you want (by locking them it will modify as one moves a wall or so).

I had to give you some answer, especially since nobody tried to answer you...

Take care,
    Luigi

Login to Give a bone

Phyllis, Did you ever find out how to make custome Area Types? I am having the same problem but finding no answers.
    Thank you.
    Marc

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If you are referring to the 6 types already available, it is in fact impossible to create more.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dhurtubise
    ...it is in fact impossible to create more.
    Wish list. Still think the OOTB decision on the types is not a simple inconvenience but is just plain wrong. Oh, well.
    Last edited by phyllisr; 2007-02-15 at 10:40 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to mibzim's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Surely the easiest way to address some of these problems would be to add a parameter to each boundary line that defines where on the wall it sits? For each type of area plan there could be a default setting when picking walls, but each one could be modified separately.

Room areas is another thing that could be improved - maybe you could set the face to which room areas are measured for each wall type. That would certainly help.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mibzim
    Surely the easiest way to address some of these problems would be to add a parameter to each boundary line that defines where on the wall it sits?
    Parameters are certainly an option but none the less, it is a lot more effort and requires creating schemes for color fills to "trick" the view so it shows the missing categories. The type issue is as big a concern as where the line rests. At least I can draw a line and not apply rules to get the SF calculations I want.

The BOMA standard in question has been around since 1996 and there is no reason Revit identified area types that disregard a BOMA/ANSI standard in favor of the 1983 method. I still strongly believe the best method is either to get the area types correct at the core programming level or make this a field we can manage as users. Adding the correct types cannot be that difficult to do.
    Last edited by phyllisr; 2007-02-16 at 01:55 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dhurtubise
    If you are referring to the 6 types already available, it is in fact impossible to create more.
    Not only you can't create more, you can't even rename them... So in Spain or in Italy or in Greece where I live, the phrase "Store Area" means nothing, because it is not in Greek.
    Also, some other things like the footnotes in the schedules, can't be edited.\
    That means that schedules for me are useless, and it a shame to pay for something useless especially when it is soooo easy to fix.
    This is another "wake up Autodesk" wishlist item.

I could stop if I wanted to eldad's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dpasa View Post
    Not only you can't create more, you can't even rename them... So in Spain or in Italy or in Greece where I live, the phrase "Store Area" means nothing, because it is not in Greek.
    Also, some other things like the footnotes in the schedules, can't be edited.\
    That means that schedules for me are useless, and it a shame to pay for something useless especially when it is soooo easy to fix.
    This is another "wake up Autodesk" wishlist item.
    It is very annoying that one cannot change the area types, for that reason I always use the "by name" option, more work but more freedom.

I could stop if I wanted to Batman's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Does this issue still blow as much as it did back when the thread was started?

Utter BS if it is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast