Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to scale a family or a group

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default How to scale a family or a group

Are you serious, can Revit really not scale a family or group? I've tried all sorts of ways and can't find a way to get Revit to do this. Worse, I've searched google and the forums without seeing anyone else ask the simple question, which makes me think I'm missing something simple. Of course, I'm backed up against a deadline as I write this, and would really like a simple solution.

Thanks,
    James West
    Willamette Architecture 360

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to scale a family or a group

Quote Originally Posted by jameswest77 View Post
    Are you serious, can Revit really not scale a family or group? I've tried all sorts of ways and can't find a way to get Revit to do this. Worse, I've searched google and the forums without seeing anyone else ask the simple question, which makes me think I'm missing something simple. Of course, I'm backed up against a deadline as I write this, and would really like a simple solution.

Thanks,
    James West
    Willamette Architecture 360
    You wouldnt just "scale" a wall thats a certain thickness, in all directions uniformally. Then it would be completely inaccurate. For families, there are parameters and constraints that make them flex. For groups... Take the ones you want larger, and make a new group type, and move the stuff.

Items that are sketched can have sketches scaled.

Otherwise, i dont see whats keeping you from the deadline?

All AUGI, all the time Gadget Man's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

As Twiceroadsfool said, it doesn't make sense to scale things in Revit for one simple reason: in Revit you model as you would build in the real life.

In the real life you wouldn't scale your walls, doors, windows, stairs, floors, roofs, cupboards, chairs, etc. (i.e. model objects) to get a different size. You just replace them with another - smaller or larger. This is exactly what you do in Revit! Replace one type with another - smaller or larger.

Remember - Revit is NOT a drawing tool - it's a modelling tool with the ability to obtain documentation drawings from it. You build your model full size 3-D as you would build your structure in the real life. No shortcuts. If you do a "shortcut" it will bite you back later. Period.

After all, if a "shortcut" was better it would be called the way...

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Come on guys, you are taking all the fun out of it. Who doesn't look back fondly on the days when you could select a small desk or nightstand and notice that it was named "large conference table 8 X 12" ?
    Scaling would be an absolute nightmare in Revit

Login to Give a bone

You can scale images, CAD files links, 3D CAD imports in families, lines or groups of lines (detail or model) and sketch lines in sketch mode, and that's about it. Those don't affect the actual construction of model elements, which makes sense.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

wow, you guys have no imagination at all. Lets say I design a precast urn that's 12" tall. it's made up of a series of sweeps and extrusions, voids, etc.

Then I want the entire thing to exist 24" tall. In my mind, this should be a simple operation.

Login to Give a bone

Would you want it to be twice as thick too?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Not a problem - scale the sketch in the family.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

yes, twice as tall, twice as thick, everything is twice as big.

how do I scale the sketch? There's, like, 2-dozen sweeps. You want me to scale each one individually? That turns into a nightmare pretty quick. I don't understand why you can't scale a grouped Generic Object or family.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jameswest77 View Post
    wow, you guys have no imagination at all. Lets say I design a precast urn that's 12" tall. it's made up of a series of sweeps and extrusions, voids, etc.

Then I want the entire thing to exist 24" tall. In my mind, this should be a simple operation.
    By the way: were all here trying to point out the flaw in the thinking, ergo the REASON you cant scale something that has actual construction properties and intelligent data. if i take an W12x64 and "scale it up" what is it then, a W12x64 thats deeper? LOL. Making it LONGER isnt scaling it, its making it longer.

There are parameters for what youre talking about.

And FYI: Desigining precast and "scaling it by 2" isnt imagination, its copytecture. I say that in a completely friendly and joking tone, but seriously... were trying to explain to you why it doesnt (and shouldnt) work that way, no need to get personal with the insults.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast