Thread: scheduling columns and framing together?

Login to Give a bone

Default scheduling columns and framing together?

We are making a skid for a mechanical room. It is built from HSS 3x3x1/4 the vertical sides are built with columns and the horizontals are built with framing because this is the only way I could get it to work and that makes since. I'm trying to create a schedule to list total length for ordering it. However I have to crate a column schedule and a framing schedule, is there a way I can get all of these numbers in one place since it is all the same material?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: scheduling columns and framing together?

Unfortunately not.. Revit can only schedule one category at a time
    And from memory, I don't think Revit will schedule "total lengths" for columns

You could either model your columns/uprights as 'framing' and schedule it that way
    Create a generic model and using 'framing' category
    Or you could export to an excel spreadsheet, and if you are handy enough with excel, run some sort of script to do the dirty work

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

A multi-category schedule with a common parameter will do it. I've setup an example here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/betwwlti0x...rySchedule.rvt

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the help guys. I just made my columns out of the same framing pieces. Revit didn't want to let me draw them vertically but i could draw them horizontally and then I could grab the end and make it vertical. So now it all schedules together. I tried to do a multi-category schedule but those always annoy me trying to schedule anything, we don't currently do enough structural to deal with a common parameter. Just redrawing the columns differently was easier.

I tried to open the revit file but I think it's a 2015 file and I have 2014...

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Yeah it's 2015

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Can I just ask, whats the big deal if you have seperate column / framing schedules?

Login to Give a bone

The steel being used for both is the same and I need to produce a bulk order list for our fab shop. I could have just added the two together but that is an extra step, and I'm sure I would have gotten a question from the fab shop asking if the material was the same since it was split up on the drawings.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

So if I understand correctly, you needed total counts for different member sizes for the fabricator?
    You're right that this is a pain, its not possible to schedule columns and framing in the same schedules to my knowledge at least (in the older versions). I might have to try Dhurtubise's combined schedule out.
    Another option is export the two to excel, and then do totals from that but again this is an extra step, in a secondary program - not ideal.

Although I don't see a whole lot of bother with him having to read two schedules side by side and add the two totals together....it does create one extra space where error can creep in.

We've had no dramas with using seperate schedules for our fabricators, in fact it should make their life easier with member marking and being able to compare that to schedule counts. The only inconvenience is adding a total from one list to another to get combined totals....but I understand fabricators are resistant to this kind of "extra" work.