Thread: Line Object Visibility Problem

Login to Give a bone

Question Line Object Visibility Problem

I have created an elevator using model lines. It spans 25 levels all controllable for different heights per level and for each level's visibility to be controlled. This way if someone only needs an elevator for ten levels they just turn off the levels they don't need and they don't have to edit the family itself.

It works pretty slick. Nice and lean as opposed to those ridiculously overmodeled manufacturer elevators (we only need to see a 2D car at each level so why all the fuss about having 3D content at all?)

My problem: is that the visibility of certain levels seems to be tied to other levels. i.e. anytime I turn off level 0 the whole thing dissapears whether other levels should still be visible or not. Also, the car on level 0 seems to want to be visible no matter what level I am looking at. Narcisisstic piece of....

What do you think could cause this? I thought maybe the car needed to be model lines instead of symbolic, but this hasn't dented the problem.

I've attached the family if you want to play with it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Line Object Visibility Problem

I haven't had a chance to open your file, but here's a slightly different approach:
    Two families:
    1. Elevator Hoistway
    - Symbolic lines in plan to represent the "X" for the opening in the hoistway.
    - Invisible model line in elevation that has a length parameter to control the height.
    - If the Elevator Hoistway family is placed at the bottom of the pit and the height is set to the overall height of the elevator, the X will show up on every level that "cuts" through the invisible line.

2. Elevator doors and cab
    - Door at every level that has a stop.
    - 2D cab symbol (either symbolic lines or a detail component nested in the door family).
    - Every level that has a stop has doors and you want to see the cab in plan, so put the cab in the elevator door family.

Yes, this approach has two families (three if you create a nested cab detail component), but it has a lot of advantages. You get the "X" in all your plans that the hoistway runs through and you can add a unique Mark to tag your elevators consistently on all levels. You get the doors on the levels where you need them, and the cab is 2D, and you only need one detail component to control the look of it.

Login to Give a bone

The second option may work well. I am using two families anyway because I didn't want to add the door to the family and could easily place the 2d cab in that family instead of the way I am doing it.

Any idea of what may cause the erratic behaviour in my current solution?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

The lines of the cab are symbolic lines. The minute they are symbolic lines, they only show in plan (or whatever view they are aligned with), but they show in EVERY plan for which the model is cut. So if the family is 10 stories, it doesn't matter what visibility settings you use, the cab will show on each of the 10 levels.

FYI, I wasn't presenting two options, I use both families--hoistway and door--when I model an elevator. The each serve different and complimentary functions.

Login to Give a bone

Oh, I see. So you show both the "X" and the cab in all intersecting views?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I show the cab only where there is a door and therefore a stop and the "X" in all intersecting views, so yes, levels with stops show both a cab and an "X".