Thread: XClip boundary showing up in other drawings

Login to Give a bone

Default XClip boundary showing up in other drawings

I have several drawings that I have clipped the xref using xclip where the xref is an OVERLAY. No matter what setting I have the xclipframe set to, the boundary is showing up in other drawings where others are xref'ing my drawings into theirs. They are using either base AutoCAD 2011, or Mech 2013.

The frame doesn't plot but it is causing people some problems as many people in our office are very new to multidiscipline projects and using xref's. Confusion regarding a boundary isn't helping me sell the point of using xref's. I CAN turn off all the boundaries where my files have been xref'ed into by changing the xclipframe variable to zero - but that isn't the problem. The problem is why is this boundary even showing up when the original dwg has the xref as an overlay (and not attached).

If you are confused -

I have a topo drawing.
    I xref another file (as an overlay) that has the building into it - that has text and other things that needs to be clipped out so I use xclip.
    I save the file-topo, with the xref 'building' in it.
    Someone else xref's the file topo into their drawing and now have a boundary line showing, which they have no idea what it is for, nor why is it there, how do they get rid of it.

Besides turning off the clipping frames - anyone else know why this is happening? This didn't happen in civ3d 2012, and now it does for '13?

Thanks,

Greg-

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: XClip boundary showing up in other drawings

Have you tried turning off the layer on which the clipping boundary was created?

Login to Give a bone

The boundary is created on the layer that the xref is inserted on, so if you freeze the layer - the xref would then also disappear.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Have you set the XCLIPFRAME system variable to 0 in the drawing that your drawing is being xrefd into?

I sometimes come across a similar issue with IMAGEFRAMES where I have to set the system variable in all the drawings besides the drawing that the image resides in.

Login to Give a bone

Well, considering that the clipped Xref is overlayed not attached, it shouldn't matter if the layer it (and the associate boundary are off) - it won't show up anyway.

However, since there may be attached instances, just use a separate layer for the XClip boundary, and set it to OFF.

Login to Give a bone

True that in the end - it doesn't matter, as it shouldn't matter since it is an overlay. I did a test to see if setting the clip boundary to 1 (to print) would actually show up on the other xref and it DID NOT.

My biggest issue was working with people who haven't worked that much with reference files, and trying to explain to them why extra lines would be there, that they didn't matter, and to ignore them. Having to fight an uphill battle with some departments who don't like change (gee...) and any small matter to hang their hat on is enough to voice doubt in the entire process. Seems to be resolved, but still would be nice to have everything about an overlay xref behave the same.

Login to Give a bone

But, you have to realize that there are two different things involved -- the Xref, and the clipping boundary.

The boundary is in the drawing that the Xref is attached to, not part of the Xref

Two objects, and you can manage the display of the boundary with layers