See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will more worksets help a model run better?

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Will more worksets help a model run better?

More worksets don't help unless people USE them wisely. That means not only assigning elements to them correctly but also being selective about opening and closing worksets that are not necessary to what I am doing right now or for the next little while. If you have a good workset scheme then I can close a chunk of the building while I focus on something for awhile. For example you don't need worksets for upper floors in the hospital open while working on labs on a lower floor. If you can't do that then your scheme isn't supporting workflow well yet.

The point of books on shelves is to be able to ignore irrelevant shelves to focus on the ones I care about now. You can also ask Revit for permission less often if you select many things (that you intend to work on right now) and use Make Elements Editable to borrow them all at once. You'll experience less pausing if you do. Each time you alter something you haven't already borrowed you are waiting for Revit to check to see if it can let you do it.

The more concurrent users there are the more important careful workset use and manipulation becomes.

Splitting models seems the easy fix because we understand that process from other software. Every time we split a model we pay a price in poorer integration of our data. They also introduce a further fragmented workflow and graphic quality issues.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Do you have a lot of area plans? We had a large project with various area plan schemes over a dozen or so sprawling floors. Things got slow and the file got bulky, so we tested removing various views, elements, etc. Removing the area plans was the single largest impact to the speed and file size. I forget if we moved those into a separate file or forced pushed the decision process so we could get rid of the extra area plans, but the fix was a huge one.

I'd throw my hat in with more Worksets and trying people making a few Worksets editable. Less communication with the Central Model.

Another thing to consider: at one point our server was getting so overworked, that our IT guy moved the biggest project to it's own drive, along with other adjustments that I don't understand, and that really helped everybody.

Login to Give a bone

Did you delete the areas before deleting the plans?

I have noticed that if I leave the area boundary lines when deleting the plan that when I recreate the plan later it uses the old boundary lines. I am wondering if you delete the plans does it still calculate the areas? If you deleted all the areas and lines before deleting the plans would it give you even more performance increase?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I don't know. I wasn't the one responsible for actually doing the work, but it makes sense that deleting the plans AND the areas would be even better. I think deleting the plan deletes the lines, so I'd skip that step.

Login to Give a bone

It doesn't delete the lines. I just tested it because I wasn't sure; I had just noticed this a couple weeks ago. The lines and the areas remain in the project unless deleted before deleting the views.

All AUGI, all the time Duncan Lithgow's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

An easy way to split the model into more Worksets is by Family Categories. We have ours split so casework/furniture/el fittings/pl fitting/speciality equipment is on their own 'Furniture and Fittings Workset. A large number of users don't need to see those things while they're working. And because it's strictly based on Categories it's easy to set up a Worksets cleanup view.

I'm assuming that all RVT links / 3d DWGs are in worksets so they can be Closed as needed.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the response gents. I think I'm going to split things into the 3 main projects and suggest turning off worksets they don't need. Again one of my main issues is the amount of presentation views and color fill plans we have. I really wish we did that in a separate file. I have 3-4 people working on nothing but overall presentation plans, 2 people working in the tower area and 4 more working on the lower levels. So i think I'm going to propose that we split our "interior" workset, Furniture and those kinds on things into those 3 major areas. So hopefully I can end up with 2 people that might not be able to close worksets or they don't want to because they're "working on everything" and the others can hide the things they don't want to see.
    One of the issues that came up on my last project was schedules. When someone would only load the worksets they needed, it would hide all the elements in the schedules for the rest of the buliding, until someone opened the view and picked on the light bulb". Granted that was a Graphic Column Schedule so maybe that's unique to that type of view.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson
    ...they don't want to because they're "working on everything"...
    This is truly necessary a lot less than we are willing to admit. We are conditioned to think, "I want to see everything, I am working on everything...". If we are able to focus on the next 10-15 minutes we may find we can compartmentalize things better and spend less time waiting for the software to generate views. I tend to think of it as actually being in the building. If I am working on casework there is no way I can work on stuff on the second floor while I am working on the eighth floor so there is no reason to have that stuff loaded even if it is my stuff too. There are exceptions of course like working schedules or working in an overall section view.

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson
    ...Granted that was a Graphic Column Schedule so maybe that's unique to that type of view...
    A GCS is a very unique kind of schedule, unlike others in that it is really a hardwired assembly of views of each column arranged into a schedule-ish format. Regular schedules are showing information only and don't need to load the elements into memory until you alter a value. A GCS has to show the column as well as report some information. Editing a massive schedule of doors, for example, will be more efficient if all the doors belong to the editor (at that time) because they won't have to ask Revit for permission to change them one by one, loading them into memory as they go.

Login to Give a bone

So short of schedules, one way to set up worksets for a larger team (say 10 people max, or splitting the model may be a better idea) would be to split by level/levels, Areas, and trades/disciplines. ie I-Interiors-1st-west or something like that.

Login to Give a bone

Yes, generally either geographical or programmatic relationships, or a combination of both. You want to provide enough compartmentalization, granular control, without imposing too great a burden on people. We want to be sure people use the correct active worksets so elements end up assigned to the correct worksets.

Go too far and they end up being just another burden instead of helping. In my post How Many Worksets do I Need? I joke that you may have too many worksets if you have to scroll the dialog or have a regularly scheduled meeting each week to discuss them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12