Thread: View opens to blank screen

Login to Give a bone

Default View opens to blank screen

I am on a project using Revit server at 3 locations NY, KY and SC. One of our remote users created a series of enlarged plans for detailing at a larger scale. They look OK, but, when I click on the view in the browser, they open to a blank screen. I know to zoom all, but this kind of thing could scare other users.

How can I get a view to open as zoom all?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: View opens to blank screen

Might be good to test this on a duplicate copy of the file first.

I would check if a cad file is linked that has an object way out in space.

If there is not a CAD file then I would "zoom" all to the objects that you want select and then hide them in the view, close the view, reopen the view, (should zoom to a blank) and select crossing the all the remaining objects in the plan. see if you choose anything.
    verify that data or delete.

Login to Give a bone

The project is a courthouse, and the image is a courtroom enlargement at quarter scale. You are right to suspect that what I like to call "space data" could be forcing the view way out. Very often that is the reason for an apparently blank screen. But I don't have any Acad data and zoom all actually brings the image onto the screen. If there were "space data", zoom all would push my view way out. Besides, the crop is on. Even if there were space data, the crop should take care of it.

The question really is about what conditions in Revit determine the extents of a view when you first click it in the browser and Revit opens the view for the first time. This project has multiple courtrooms and each will need a blowup view. I zoomed all for each view and everything looked OK. No space data. So, I closed the views and saved the project. The next day when I opened each view I got a blank screen again! Apparently, even after I established the extents of each view with a zoom all, Revit didn't save that info when I saved the file. Something else is determining the view extents.

Is Revit mad at me?

Login to Give a bone

I don't know if this is your problem but..
    I do know that it depends on how the views were being viewed and saved last, which is based on that person's screen set up and tile sizes/configurations etc.

For instance if someone is viewing many tiles on thier screen which makes the entities tiny on thier screen.
    Then they save and syncronize, etc and close out.

The next time you open that view, lets say a single view maximized, the entity will still be tiny until you zoom extents.

I don't know how you can control that, just saying it could be the issue causing it.

HTH

Login to Give a bone

If you have a different plan view open/current and open one of the enlarged plans (or any other plan view), Revit will zoom to show the same plan area as the current plan view. Handy when opening plans on multiple floors and wanting to compare the same area. Not so handy when one cropped view is open and opening another cropped view that does not overlap the first view.