Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is barcode usage a thing of the past?

Question Is barcode usage a thing of the past?

Considering the recent advances we have seen in shipbuilding and manufacturing processes on a global level, is it likely that we will see QRcodes replace barcodes and RFID usage on shop floors in the next 10 years?

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post

Default Re: Is barcode usage a thing of the past?

QR codes are far superior and cheaper to implement. You don't need to invest in special technology. You use the cell phones that people already have on them with free QR code reader aps and free QR code generating websites. You can stick a QR code on a drawing and people in the yard can scan it to get more information (3D). You can even have them scan it and automatically email a picture back of changes to a drawing. This is a really slick workflow. A good example of how it works can be found here:

I wonder how many companies use Bar Codes? And I wonder what would be the cost to change to QR Coding.

I read a lot about QR Codes and Bar Codes. It seems since bar odes are only one dimensional and QR Codes are two dimensional, QR Coding a better choice.
    Also seems more and more companies are offering marketing promotions to those that scan their QR Code.

A few links comparing the two:
    http://www.mobile-qr-codes.org/qr-co...-barcodes.html
    http://beqrious.com/qr-code-vs-conve...ional-barcode/
    http://www.nacs.org/LinkClick.aspx?f...=1426&mid=4802

I like the durability of QR codes - they can have redundancy built-in when they are created so that if/when they get scuffed, scratched or torn, they have a better chance of still scanning correctly. Barcodes, not so much. I also like that QR codes can be "tracked" and generate analytic info (such as how often a code has been scanned, time it was scanned, etc...).

Mark.waldie645296 Do you think it is simply a matter of cost when considering changing over from barcodes or RFID codes, or does the simplicity of the barcode still hold value?

You mentioned that you believe QR codes are far superior and cheaper to implement, but does that include the cost of training the staff of new procedures? Considering labor is very capital intensive, is this a cost effective solution for all shipyards?

I really do like QR Codes and think it is an overlooked technology. The main reason I like QR Codes is because it is an easy technology to implement, use, educate/train and has a very low requirement for investment. The idea of the QR Code’s I like the most is that it can bring the modern 3D world of technology into the traditional 2D world of shipbuilding documentation. Again all this with very little disruption to current ship yards processes.

An example would be by adding a QR Code to an assembly drawing which when scanned can open a 3D model. Unitag_QRCode_360_Assembly_SAT.png

Another example would be to get your fabrication shop to simply scan a QR Code once they have completed fabricating the component which the drawing represents. The scanning of that QR Code from the user side will be simple but what actually happens is the scanning of the QR Code notifies the ERP / MES / PLM / etc. system that the component is completed. This will allow an accurate view of the current state of your project. This has tremendous value especially for ship yards by allowing them to see early bottle necks and even anticipate and react to avoid significant issues.

Barcode replacement
    I do not think barcodes will be “replaced” by QR Codes unless the user needs to expand the functionality which barcodes cannot support. There is just to much infrastructure to support barcodes in some shipyards and the benefit of changing without leveraging the additional benefits from QR Codes or RFID is not worth it..now. I can see if there was a new system being implemented that the user would use QR Codes vs. barcodes even if they are not currently going to be using the benefits of QR Codes.

RFID
    I am a real fan of the potential of RFID tags as well as other similar technologies. I can see these being incorporated in absolutely everything, including the pop bottles we drink.

The thing with implementing RFID today is it requires a bit more investment, planning and infrastructure. So even though I think RFID’s (or similar) will be the future I think QR Codes are a great technology we should be using today.

Seems RFID could be a tracking device that I would not want implanted in humans. However, in application use time saving and data reading situations exist in meter readings services in local communities. Untilities have been read by workers manually inputing usuage on paper or electronic input. With RFID the worker basically drives by and clicks a button to get usuage. Great tool but monitoring use would have to be highly regulated protecting the average Joe.

Thanks Josh for your comments - some very good points. How do you feel about laser tagging objects with bar codes or QR Codea. Do you see the value in labling or inscribing objects quickly appling the markers? I can see future CD and DVD laser writers appling more data on the surface we see and can be scanned that could be quickly read without having to load the disk in a CD-ROM drive orthe like. You remeber the stick on labler from years past where you punched out each letter and applied to something you owned or the vibrator marker to etched name and date on your tools. I see handheld laser tagging as a way to get material objects marked with predetermined data quickly and accurately. You thoughts?

I agree

RFID in Humans = Bad
    RFID in materials = Good

I thought it might be helpful to include a link to the recent Google+ Hangout surrounding the topic of QR codes in Shipbuilding

http://bit.ly/SSIHangout

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast