See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Families with multiple categories

Login to Give a bone

Default Families with multiple categories

Hey Folks,
    Is there a way to have a family with multiple categories?
    My situation is that I have a Floor Box with power and comms in it. In the power drawing, i'd like to see the FB but not all of the other comms families and in the comms drawing I don't want to see all the electrical families.

So is there a way to have a family that will appear in both?

Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Families with multiple categories

I think for what you are trying to achieve, you are best using a view filter in the drawings you are working in...

Simply create a filter that picks up the Floor Box family by a unique identifier, eg. the family name

Then just turn it of and on as needed in the comms or power drawings.

All AUGI, all the time CADastrophe's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Our most common case of this is with our CTC ("Clock/Telecommunications Cabinet"; a classroom cabinet that contains Light Switches, Fire Alarm, Speaker, Clock, etc.), and what we do is to create all of the sub-components as Shared Families and nest them into the host Family, which would basically be the enclosure (or even nothing, geometrically). Each of the nested Families will belong to the appropriate Category, and the host Family will belong to Electrical Fixtures and include a Shared Parameter (Type, Text) that had a fixed value of "CTC". In Views that Fire Alarm, Communications must be turned off, the Category can be turned off as normal as long as Electrical Fixtures in on. In View in which we just want to turn off Electrical Fixtures, we add a View Filter that turns off all elements of that Category that do not have "CTC" entered for that Shared Parameter.

Login to Give a bone

Very interesting question and some interesting responses. I deal with this the manual way. I place an empty floorbox (electrical device) then host my face based floor receptacles (power, data,A/V) to the cover of the box.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by ftonelli View Post
    Hey Folks,
    Is there a way to have a family with multiple categories?
    My situation is that I have a Floor Box with power and comms in it. In the power drawing, i'd like to see the FB but not all of the other comms families and in the comms drawing I don't want to see all the electrical families.

So is there a way to have a family that will appear in both?

Thanks.

All AUGI, all the time CADastrophe's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Now that I think about it, perhaps Assemblies might be worth investigating - I haven't used them yet, myself.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

We handle it with worksets, parameters, filters and two familes; one for the floor box and one for the data drop. The reason for this is that we don't always know up front if we'll be doing technology in addition to power so we let our technology department design the number of data/voice drops needed. If you want, I can post a small sample project and you can dissect the families, parameters and filters.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    We handle it with worksets, parameters, filters and two familes; one for the floor box and one for the data drop. The reason for this is that we don't always know up front if we'll be doing technology in addition to power so we let our technology department design the number of data/voice drops needed. If you want, I can post a small sample project and you can dissect the families, parameters and filters.
    That's what we do. But we also never do technology work - we have a dedicated security, A/V, teledata group that handles all of that stuff.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by CADastrophe View Post
    Our most common case of this is with our CTC ("Clock/Telecommunications Cabinet"; a classroom cabinet that contains Light Switches, Fire Alarm, Speaker, Clock, etc.), and what we do is to create all of the sub-components as Shared Families and nest them into the host Family, which would basically be the enclosure (or even nothing, geometrically). Each of the nested Families will belong to the appropriate Category, and the host Family will belong to Electrical Fixtures and include a Shared Parameter (Type, Text) that had a fixed value of "CTC". In Views that Fire Alarm, Communications must be turned off, the Category can be turned off as normal as long as Electrical Fixtures in on. In View in which we just want to turn off Electrical Fixtures, we add a View Filter that turns off all elements of that Category that do not have "CTC" entered for that Shared Parameter.
    I like this one, obviously it need a bit of forethought but I suspect it might be the way to go.
    You'd think that by now families would have the option of appearing in more than one category.

Thanks folks.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

We also address this through worksets. We have a "Share Electrical/Telecom" workset.