Thread: output VG settings to Excel

Login to Give a bone

Default output VG settings to Excel

I have created quite a few view templates, carefully turning objects on or off depending on the view, like no toilets on ceilings. In Revit, there is no good way to review these settings against each other. For example, for floor plans I have working, presentation and issue views. I can start out by copying one to another, but eventually they are all stand alone. If I turn an object off in working, I have to also do it in presentation and issue. After a while, inconsistencies creep in.

So I created an Excel file where I can compare settings against each other visually. Trouble is, I have to populate the Excel sheet manually. After a while there is no guarantee that the Revit templates and the Excel report agree. What I need is a way to dump VG settings into a file that I can read into Excel, or start Excel from within Revit and populate it directly.

This is almost certainly an API project. And, I will have to relearn programming Revit all over again. (I did a few small projects in 200. A quick look and the docs I have didn't help, I couldn't find if visibility graphics is exposed in the API.

A clip from the Excel analysis is attached. Any ideas?

VT.JPG

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: output VG settings to Excel

Imagineit has a ad in for excel to and from revit that is for schedules though, are these schedules of some kind that you are exporting?

Login to Give a bone

I am familiar with Revit schedules. Schedules are basically for building objects. What I am looking for is a table of annotation settings. I also have the Revit app that dumps the object database to Microsoft Access. The Access file also only documents objects. This is a job for the API ***IF*** visibility graphics - VG - is exposed!

I could stop if I wanted to Danny Polkinhorn's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hi Mike,

The View object has a GetVisibility method that will tell you if a category is on/off in a particular view. Sounds like that's what you're looking for.

HTH,