Thread: Space Creation, Division, and Visibility

Login to Give a bone

Default Space Creation, Division, and Visibility

I am working in a multilevel project and I have plan regions set up for the different levels.

I have a number of issues:

1. My Space Separator (and Room Seperator -FYI) tool is grayed out
    2. In most areas associated with the level above the associated level of the ceiling plan (this is also an existing area) the spaces show up when created as a rectangle and when they are created and an error message shows up that the space is unbounded.
    3. The level of my spaces is the associated level of the plan and it is grayed out.

Thank you

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Space Creation, Division, and Visibility

sounds like the rooms are trying to be created outside of the view range. they will associate to the level set in the view. check the room/space upper and bottom limits in the properties box as you're placing the room/space (the settings for your first placed will remain for additional ones you place at that time (the rest of that floor)

you said you have plan regions for the different levels, do you mean that literally? like a plan region of the second floor associated to the first floor? if so, you'll want to create a view per level instead. also in an elevation view, select properties of each level and set its Computation Height at 1'-0".

hth,
    mike

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Space Creation, Division, and Visibility

Quote Originally Posted by sweiler323390
    ...plan regions...
    Did you actually create plan regions or are you calling plan views plan regions? Plan Regions are a special tool to help hosted elements that are beyond the view range settings. Clerestory windows are primary reason they exist, for example.

Revit relies on Levels to host elements for each floor of a building. When you create a level Revit will usually create floor plans (at least a floor and ceiling plan). Views cannot be disassociated from their associated level. It is necessary to create at least one unique plan view for each level in a project.

Since you are using Revit MEP is there a linked architectural model involved? If so you still need your own levels to match the ones in their linked model. In order for that model to provide boundaries for spaces in your model you need to select the linked file, click Edit Type and check the Room Bounding option.

Once there are equivalent levels (to those in the link) in your project and the link is room bounding spaces should find valid boundaries and host level to exist on in each floor plan.