Thread: Work Sharing: Can't obtain permission to edit the element. The central model is busy.

Login to Give a bone

Default Work Sharing: Can't obtain permission to edit the element. The central model is busy.

Hi all,

I am having some problems with work sharing in Revit.
    Every now and then when i try to save or edit anything i will get the following warnings:

Warning 1.PNG

Warning 2.PNG

I have never had these warnings before, is there a sollution to this?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Work Sharing: Can't obtain permission to edit the element. The central model is busy.

That usually happens when someone else is syncing with the central model. Nothing to worry about, just wait a bit and it will go away once the other person is synced.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Work Sharing: Can't obtain permission to edit the element. The central model is busy.

my colleague who is also working in the project is not saving or syncing with the central model at that time. I've had this problem all day long now with waiting times up to 20 min before the warning would disappear.

I have tried detatching the central file, auditing it and re-saving it but without succes.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

That warning will also appear if someone is syncing a model that is linked to your central model, and if someone is using the "Insert From File" command to extract details, schedules, etc. from your central model for use in another model. Bottom line, if you're getting those warnings, someone is using that central model somehow.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by yves.n544759 View Post
    I have tried detatching the central file, auditing it and re-saving it but without succes.
    You did create a new local file when you did this correct?

Another concern would be network traffic...and how often you or your colleague is syncing...as your local could be too out of date.
    As for network traffic, also check to see if your running Gigabit...as I have seen this error when someone was connected to a 100mb hub instead of a 1000mb...
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

We also encountered this issue - where we tried all the listed suggestions above with no success. If one person was in the model, everything worked fine. When a second person joined, they got the dreaded message.
    We also verified wireless connections, Revit versions, workstation free disk space, etc; but with no success. Typically, re-creating the model would fix this issue. I even tried auditing the linked models.

In desperation, we resorted to moving the model to Revit Server, which uses IIS instead of Windows File system (SMB, SMB2, etc.). I am definitely curious how you ultimately resolve this issue.

btw. does this happen to only one model, or all of the models?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Borrowing worksets?
    Are you using design options?

Login to Give a bone

We had a similar problem after we upgraded our project sever and it ran Windows Server 2012 "Windows 8". We had to disable the "SMBv3" on the new server and go back to SMBv2 or SMBv1. I would have to check with the IT guy. That fixed the syncing problem perfectly.
    My external IT guy handled that so I don't know how it was done, but maybe worth checking on your server?
    Nathan
    Last edited by Rocket; 2014-08-15 at 06:09 PM.