See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Can I move Inventor assemblies and their components to a different project?

Login to Give a bone

Question Can I move Inventor assemblies and their components to a different project?

We have been using separate (single user) projects for all our different equipment assemblies. This causes issues when an assembly from one project needs to be placed as a sub-assembly in a different project.
    As a result of some of the issues we've been having, my supervisor would like us to now use one "master" project for all Inventor models and assemblies, company-wide.
    Does anyone know what is the best way to accomplish this? ... or perhaps I should say, what is the least painful way to put everything under one master project?
    Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Using Design Suite Ultimate - Inventor Professional 2015, running under Windows 7 Professional

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can I move Inventor assemblies and their components to a different project?

I have recently come across the same problem with having seperate projects files.
    The best way I have found is to just set up one top level project file called Designs (or whatever you like) and all new projects are created in sub folders within. Therefore using parts or assemblies across all projects works ok.
    This is the way I have set-up my Vault structure and works great upto now.

Hope this helps....

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can I move Inventor assemblies and their components to a different project?

It depends upon the situation, I guess. I work with several corporate and private clients doing design/consulting. If the client has multiple parts and assemblies that need to interact, as in your case and most corporate cases, then I will create a single master project, using Vault (or whatever PLM system they have in place) or a single master project if not. For those clients whose products do not interact, I will create a project for each. I have various projects for tutorials and testing as well. It is easy enough to transfer the files between projects if you are careful. My Vault reseller/instructor told me that his contacts at Autodesk recommend the master project approach. The only glitch in the system arises when I import outside assemblies, typically in a step format. On some occasions, the parts will have generic names such as "Part1.ipt" and "Part2.ipt", etc. Playing with the "Resolve Link" dialog is not my idea of a fun day...

HTH

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for responses, but they don't quite answer my question... we don't use Autodesk Vault, and I'd still like to hear if it is possible to move EXISTING parts and assemblies to the new master project. And is there any way to do it without having all Inventor-linked DWG's go haywire. Any ideas?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Create a the new master project and define the directory/folder. Each of your existing projects should already have its own folder. Move each one of these folders into the master project directory. Delete all of the existing ipj files. As long as you keep everything within the master folder, everything should work fine. Try moving a small project first to test it.

I know it works because I have done it, and had no problems.

Login to Give a bone

Use Pack and Go, then put the files in the new location with a new project file.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Create a the new master project and define the directory/folder. Each of your existing projects should already have its own folder. Move each one of these folders into the master project directory. Delete all of the existing ipj files. As long as you keep everything within the master folder, everything should work fine. Try moving a small project first to test it.

I know it works because I have done it, and had no problems.
    This worked! In fact, it was remarkably easy. I didn't even have to move anything. I created the master project on the partition of the server that we use for ALL projects, then I deleted all of the old individual projects. Now, whenever I open a drawing file, the first command I type is VIEWSETPROJ, and navigate to the master project. Since all Inventor models are under that project, the drawing gets re-associated to the appropriate model with no trouble. Thanks for your help.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Hello, AlexCAD solution would have worked just as well without the need to move anything.
    The only problem with a single user project is that it is very difficult to keep client confidentiality separate from each other. Granting user permissions to different projects is very difficult.
    Styles are also a problem with a single user project. It’s ok if you have only one client but we have multiple clients all with unique templates, styles. Theses need unique project files.
    Vault, in my opinion is a free invaluable tool that can help you no end.

Regards,
    Warren.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by warrentdo View Post
    Styles are also a problem with a single user project. It’s ok if you have only one client but we have multiple clients all with unique templates, styles. Theses need unique project files.
    Vault, in my opinion is a free invaluable tool that can help you no end.

Regards,
    Warren.
    Hi Warren
    Thanks for the info, I'm still fairly new to Vault and also have various clients and can understand the styles issue. I think a better solution is to have a project file for each client.
    I'm going to put it on my things to do list.
    Cheers