Thread: Sharing Dynamic Blocks - Palette & Catalogue Issues

Login to Give a bone

Default Sharing Dynamic Blocks - Palette & Catalogue Issues

Attempting to upload dynamic blocks to a catalogue for others to use (on their AutoCAD palettes). While the blocks appear in the catalogue, they do not automatically update to the palettes of other computers. How do I set up the catalogue/palette so that others can use my blocks? Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Sharing Dynamic Blocks - Palette & Catalogue Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Warr_E_Er View Post
    Attempting to upload dynamic blocks to a catalogue for others to use (on their AutoCAD palettes). While the blocks appear in the catalogue, they do not automatically update to the palettes of other computers. How do I set up the catalogue/palette so that others can use my blocks? Thanks!
    If using 2012+, try an Autoloader .bundle to load the desired components for each version of AutoCAD you use for production... This implicitly suggests that you 'push' the master .bundle to each user as part of your user's netlogon script (when logging into domain), which is a minor task for Admin, and only applies to CAD users.

Unfortunately, Autoloader does not yet support network located .bundles, thus no updating on the fly, or session restart; one would have to log off and back on... If call to APPAUTOLOADER is unsuccessful.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    If using 2012+, try an Autoloader .bundle to load the desired components for each version of AutoCAD you use for production... This implicitly suggests that you 'push' the master .bundle to each user as part of your user's netlogon script (when logging into domain), which is a minor task for Admin, and only applies to CAD users.

Unfortunately, Autoloader does not yet support network located .bundles, thus no updating on the fly, or session restart; one would have to log off and back on... If call to APPAUTOLOADER is unsuccessful.

Cheers
    I'm not sure what a .bundle is or how I would implement that. Would each person have to put it onto their own computer? Or would I just have to put it into the Catalogue and it would take care of the rest?

Login to Give a bone

I'm not sure what a .bundle is or how I would implement that. Would each person have to put it onto their own computer? Or would I just have to put it into the Catalogue and it would take care of the rest?
    The Autoloader mechanism was implemented in 2012 version, and is used to automagically load custom components (i.e., ARX, CUIx, DLL, LSP, Tool Palettes, etc.) in .bundle format, which is essentially a directory located in a specific location on user's local disk with a few essential requirements... It sounds way more complicated than it actually is.

I've been using it extensively for some time now, initially only as a requirement for publishing my apps at Autodesk Exchange Store. It's really good at what it does do, and obviously has some trade-offs. See the link in my signature for more information.

What catalogue are you speaking of specifically?

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    What catalogue are you speaking of specifically?
    I'm referring to the Autodesk Content Browser - where I find the catalog library. I'm attempting to create palettes I can share with others. I have successfully put the palette tabs into the catalog file and saved the catalog file on the network . The catalog file appears in the network browser on other computers. However, the palettes within the catalog file do not appear on other computers. Why are they not appearing within the catalog file on other computers?

Login to Give a bone

Are you running Autodesk Architecture?

Login to Give a bone

I'm referring to the Autodesk Content Browser - where I find the catalog library. I'm attempting to create palettes I can share with others. I have successfully put the palette tabs into the catalog file and saved the catalog file on the network . The catalog file appears in the network browser on other computers. However, the palettes within the catalog file do not appear on other computers. Why are they not appearing within the catalog file on other computers?
    Tool Palettes are still Tool Palettes, regardless of accessing them from within Content Browser or not, and as such still subject to all of the shortfalls network located Tool Palettes have endured for decades. I use Civil 3D for daily production, and have never invoked the CONTENTBROWSER Command before today.

Maintaining Tool Palettes locally has been the path of least resistance for keeping them up-to-date, but are subject to the inherent trade-offs as such.

The Autoloader mechanism is the best way I know of to maintain Tool Palettes that offers the best functionality for the least amount of work on both Admin & user in order to affect an update to same... Please take from this what you like.

Good luck!

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    Are you running Autodesk Architecture?
    It's MEP 2013