Thread: Revit Structures 2014 - issue with analytical model

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit Structures 2014 - issue with analytical model

Hi,

I'm working on a project on which I've been having issues with the analytical model. This is the first full BIM project that I've worked on and it's a client requirement that the modelling software (Revit) and the structural analysis software use the same model by the use of bi-directional linking of files between the 2. I'm having a couple of issues with the positions of the analytical elements in relation to their 3D model counterparts.

Firstly, for example, if I place a structural column centred on a gridline intersection, its analytical model will be somewhere off centre in plan. If I use the 'analytical adjust' tool and move the analytical column to its correct position, it will snap back to its original wrong position if I edit or add anything else in the area, or edit or move the column itself.

Secondly, and again for example, when editing analytical floor edge/node positions, sometimes when trying to drag certain node points, they consistently snap to some random point at a distance away from where I've just dragged them to, even when it seems like you've got it right when the mouse pointer's over the right point and it's all highlighted correctly. The same can also happen when trying to use 'align' as well.

An example of both issues is shown in the 2 attached .JPGs, showing a column and slab edge in the correct positions in the structural model in one, and the same column and slab's analytical equivalent positions (after attempting to edit) in the other.

Has anyone come across either of these things before? It's really preventing us from going any further with our project, and we'd rather not have to go down the route of separate parallel structural and analytical models, not only because it's against our BEP but also to ensure changes to one model are reflected immediately in the other.

A third issue that I've just remembered is that where we have slab steps, when viewed in 3D it seems that the analytical model just shows the slabs at the same plane/level and overlaps them in the region of the step. Is this right? Or am I missing something as it seems wrong...

Any help anyone can give would be most gratefully received. Thanks in advance,

Simon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by simon.bannister; 2014-08-26 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Remembered third issue!