Thread: Issues with central file and Revit models linked to it

Login to Give a bone

Post Issues with central file and Revit models linked to it

Hi,

I am new in Augi and I am trying to find my way through. I hope I am in the right forum and someone can help me. My team and I are new to the concept of working on a central file. We've learned quite a bit in the last two weeks but we keep ruining into one persistent issues with background to our central model. Here it is the setup. Revit 2014. We have a central model that is stationed on my server. I am connected to the server via LAN. The other two players on my team are not connected directly to the server and use VPN to connect with the server, synchronize and download or upload changes to the central file. Our Revit model is structural and uses the architectural model as a background. We do have some worksets setup which seem to work pretty well. The biggest problem we have is the background. Because internet connection and VPN are quite sluggish my two partners with the VPN connection connect only when they start work, end work or need to synchronize. We all work on our own local file created properly (read how from a white technical paper) and feed back into the central which is stationed. The central file has a link to the background but the background is not loaded. Each one of us loads a copy of one and the same background which is located on the user computer. The problem we face is that every time when any of us synchronizes which automatically releases all borrowed stuff the architectural background on the other two local files is automatically unloaded. This happens instantly on my local file because I am on a LAN and therefor constantly connected with the central. It happens however to the VPN users (understandably) only when they connect. We do not mark any of the workset as edible and only make them default when we add or change geometry in any of them. Everything else seem to work very well with our central file except this issue with the background. I would assume Autodesk must have thought about this scenario when the software was developed. I am pretty sure the problem is that the path to each ones background is different on each local machine but I hope there is a cure for this. We tried loading the background to the central only but this idea proved disastrous for the VPN users as it made the synchronizing time unacceptably slow. Sever internet speed is about 33 Mbps down and about 5 Mbps up. VPN user speeds measured from their machines is about 4 times faster. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you all!

Pavel

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Issues with central file and Revit models linked to it

First thing when it comes to working with worksharing....working over a VPN can cause issues/file redundancy with the Central File and is totally not recommended. This is why Revit Server was created, but even then it depends on the speed of the connection. Your best option is to have your remote users VPN into the office and connect to a workstation there to work with Revit.

Also if someone loses their connection they can lose all of their work and stall out everyone else working on the project.
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Login to Give a bone

cadtechguy, I am having a similar problem. We are not using VPN, but have been working in Revit 2014 over a WAN with a 10mpbs connection. A little slow I know, but it has been extremely workable. Recently, we upgraded to Revit 2015. Now working over the WAN will not allow us to create local copies from our main server saved Central file. My IT Dept. doesn't want to use Revit Server because of the cost of paying Microsoft for having another virtual server, so that's out. Any thoughts?

Login to Give a bone

cdatechguy, thank you for your advice. The problem with us is the geographical locations and the lack of fast speed internet in USA. My two team members are in Europe and their connection is very fast compared to mine in the States. They are the one using the VPN. I recently came upon Revit server terminology and I am not even sure what this is. Do you have some tech paper that you would share with me so I can educate myself. We do have Revit network license but I am not sure if this is same as Revit server. Sorry for the silly questions but I am learning as I go. It looks like our current situation is quite dead ended and with the rush to meet project dead lines I am not sure we can afford to switch to Revit server and have a learning curve to deal with. Can you just tell me if a network license would allow Revit server or is this an extra purchase from Autodesk?
    Thank you again!

Login to Give a bone

info, Revit Server is just that, a server for Revit projects. It actually comes as part of your Revit licensing, no extra expense. It just needs to be set-up and put into place on your system. You should really look into it if your company IT will do it. It helps speed up and keep your linking across network running smoothly. Good luck with that.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/20...B-1150D60E6887

Login to Give a bone

Having worked on the Panama Canal expansion project on a global WAN I can tell you that connecting to a central file across a VPN is sketchy at best. Much of the issue lies in the connection speeds of the end users, but there are also traffic issues on the Internet itself.
    A far better solution IMO is to use Remote Desktop access (across a VPN for example) to log into a computer on the LAN. (yes, this requires an un-used comptuer)
    Once you've logged into a computer on the LAN you can work more efficiently with the Central model. There is a small lag but the only data traveling across the VPN is display data, as opposed to Model data, which is much more intense.
    We foundthat working this way was the lesser of two evils.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you all for the great feedback. I think I am starting to find the right path. Highly appreciate your help.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by info-sc678362 View Post
    Thank you all for the great feedback. I think I am starting to find the right path. Highly appreciate your help.

This was a very informative thread. I was wondering if you implemented one of the methods that were discussed and how it was going between your team members. I am currently determining whether to use Revit server between offices or the remote desktop access that was brought up in one of the other comments. Any insight you can offer would be a great help.

Thanks!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mcarroll681435 View Post
    .... I am currently determining whether to use Revit server between offices or the remote desktop access that was brought up in one of the other comments....
    Revit Server brings the data to the user, designed for WAN connections within similar regions (i.e. latency is under 40 ms). Revit Server expands the functionality of Revit worksharing between offices. It can deliver good model performance, but can take longer to open and synchronize models. Furthermore, it is not as robust for highly dispersed, large teams - e.g. 10+ users between 3+ locations.

Remote Desktop takes the user to the data (Windows Desktop) - it is more robust with low bandwidth, high latency networks than Revit Server. The disadvantage is the user experience. The cursor response can be unacceptably slow, if the users are 1000's of miles away, or the bandwidth is low. We have designers using RD Gateway, where designers log on to their work computers remotely from home. They like it a lot; however, they tend to be within a 40 mile radius from the office.

Both require different IT support issues. If offices are between East and West Coasts, then remote desktop may be preferable.