Thread: How to model a solarium

Login to Give a bone

Default How to model a solarium

What's the best way to model a solarium? I've got a dwa style to create the sides, although I don't have the sides triangular like they need to be. I don't have a clue how to create the roof of it like the red lines show.
    Solarium DWA.png
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to model a solarium

You might be able to apply a profile to the end Door/Window Assemblies to get the top triangular (not sure if that will just leave the cut glass or add a frame).

Not sure about the sloped top. You could create a Door/Window Assembly (or a Curtain Wall) and rotate it, but getting the edge frames right may take some doing. And that may look okay in 3D, but will likely not provide proper plan views.

Is this just for visualization purposes, or are you trying to create an accurate model from which plans, elevations and sections can be derived?

Login to Give a bone

Did a quick test in 2015, and creating a profile representing the outside limits of the desired end piece does work. It places a frame along the angled edge.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch View Post
    Did a quick test in 2015, and creating a profile representing the outside limits of the desired end piece does work. It places a frame along the angled edge.
    I'm using 2014. I was able to add a profile to the style, then all sides were angled. I was able to flip the other side, but the front can't be angled. I could have multiple styles I guess.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch View Post
    And that may look okay in 3D, but will likely not provide proper plan views.
    Is this just for visualization purposes, or are you trying to create an accurate model from which plans, elevations and sections can be derived?
    The plan view should ignore the sloped roof as it is above the cut plane. I mostly just wanted the model to 'look' right. I'm doing an as-built of our office and I don't need a full set of plans.