Hi to all,

I’m a long time reader, first time poster (I think).

First my background:

Student – Using AutoCAD / Revit for projects etc. I'm using Revit 2013.

I’ve done numerous projects using supplied surveyor plans for assignments etc. but I have only ever done design / construction drawings based on flat base elevation of 0 rather than worrying about the elevations of the actual sites I am using.

I am now going to be using actual elevations from the survey plans provided. I have figured out how to create topo surface based on elevations provided via provided plans and it looks pretty good.

Now my questions:

1) Are there best practices or tips anyone can point me to regarding setting up the Revit file ahead of link/insertion of CAD plan?

Should I be setting up drawings elevations ahead of insertion?
What should I set as my file insertion level? Elevation 0?
Should I be setting up elevations at the lowest level and highest levels provided (in this case 141m and 151m respectively)?

2) I can’t wrap my head around how to start drawing on the now elevated site. Typically when its flat I should start going to town on it.
Any suggestions on how to begin at this point? It sounds like a silly question I think but without it being flat I’m just having a little brain cramp.

3) The survey plans have things like property lines and roads marked on them which I will need add to the toposurface. Is there a way to have them marked on toposurface when inserting the CAD file? When I try this using the “create from import” -> “add selected layers” window I can add these lines from their individual layers but then it makes the toposurface look screwy with holes in it.

Any tips suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Like I said my brain doesn’t seem to understand how to begin drawing lol

Thanks in advance.