Thread: Use of formulas in Family type creation

Login to Give a bone

Default Use of formulas in Family type creation

Hi guys

Hopefully posted in the correct place, can anyone shed some light on creating a specific formula to help choose from a different number of options in a text value.

Basically, for a schedule to work, i need a shared text parameter to display a certain value (either fitted-POST600 or fitted-POST700 or fitted-POST750 etc etc in a text field).

I'm looking at some way trying to have this value determined by another parameter (_ports_depth) which is a length parameter. So basically I want to be able to change the depth value to either 600mm, 700mm, 750mm, 800mm or 850mm and have the value output into my _Ports_Item text value.

I'm positive there is a way of expressing this by way of a formula but as a new user of Revit, I'm unsure of exactly what expressions are to be used.

I've attached a screen shot of my family type which might clarify what I mean!!

Cheers!Capture.JPG

All AUGI, all the time CADastrophe's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Use of formulas in Family type creation

Hello, and welcome to AUGI!

Unfortunately, Revit currently lacks the ability to CONCATENATE, or combine Text Strings. So, in order to accomplish such a feat, you would need a nested IF/THEN statement for every single possible option.

In this case, a formula you could use would be:
    if(_ports_depth = 600mm, "fitted-POST600", if(_ports_depth = 700mm, "fitted-POST700", if(_ports_depth = 750mm, "fitted-POST750", if(_ports_depth = 800mm, "fitted-POST800", if(_ports_depth = 850mm, "fitted-POST850", "INVALID INPUT")))))

This quickly gets to be a problem when there are multiple variables. Say, for instance, there are 6 sizes available but you also want to account for color (5 possible) and Fitted/Not Fitted. You would then need *60* nested IF/THEN statements (6 sizes * 5 colors * 2 fitted or not fitted).

Login to Give a bone

I have a series of yes/no parameters. My goal is to have one parameter (called “BLOCKING 02 ALL ON”) that can turn several yes/no parameters (called BLOCKING 02 AREA 01 OFF, BLOCKING 02 AREA 02 OFF) on at one time. An additional goal is, when “BLOCKING 02 ALL ON” is not checked, I need to be able to control the “BLOCKING 02 AREA 01 OFF, BLOCKING 02 AREA 02 OFF” parameters independently. At this point, when “BLOCKING 02 ALL ON” is checked it functions correctly, however when “BLOCKING 02 ALL ON” is unchecked, the” BLOCKING 02 AREA 01 OFF, BLOCKING 02 AREA 02 OFF” parameters are grayed out. How can I make the “BLOCKING 02 AREA 01 OFF, BLOCKING 02 AREA 02 OFF” not grayed out or editable individually?
    Question,
    If a formula is used for a parameter, is there a way to not have it gray out if your condition doesn’t apply?

OFF.JPG

ON.JPG

All AUGI, all the time CADastrophe's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

One cannot have a Parameter that is both user-controlled and formula-driven. You will need to create separate Yes/No Parameters dedicated to user control. To expand on your example:

User-Control Parameters
    BLOCKING 02 ALL ON (Yes/No) [ no formula ]
    BLOCKING 02 AREA 01 OFF (Yes/No) [ no formula ]
    BLOCKING 02 AREA 02 OFF (Yes/No) [ no formula ]

Calculation Parameters (Names are "encrypted" as to not draw attention of the user)
    B02A01 (Yes/No) [ formula = or(BLOCKING 02 ALL ON, not(BLOCKING 02 AREA 01 OFF)) ]
    B02A02 (Yes/No) [ formula = or(BLOCKING 02 ALL ON, not(BLOCKING 02 AREA 02 OFF)) ]

All constraint or parametric dependencies should be linked to the Calculation Parameters.

**Note:

When linking one Yes/No Parameter to another formulaically, you do not need to create an IF/THEN statement. You can just cite the name of the driving Parameter. For example:

Parameters (both Yes/No)
    YESNO_01
    YESNO_02 [ formula = YESNO_01 ] or for inverted control: [ formula = not(YESNO_01) ]