Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: inserting text into the text override field automatically?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: inserting text into the text override field automatically?

How would you "get" the value you want to insert into the text override?
    Is it something you simply type in on the fly or to you copy it from somewhere?

If you simply type it on the fly, could be done with lisp (simple _dimlinear function):
    Code:
    (defun c:foo (/ txt cme)
    (setq cme (getvar "cmdecho"))
    (setvar "cmdecho" 1)
    (setq txt (getstring  (prompt"TEXT OVERRIDE VALUE?")))
    (command "_dimlinear" pause pause "text" txt pause "")
    (setvar "cmdecho" cme)
    (princ)
    )
    Just an idea, (a quick crude routine without error trapping etc)
    Last edited by tedg; 2014-09-10 at 05:11 PM. Reason: added lisp example

Login to Give a bone

right now, I copy out of the measurement field and paste into the text override field after I put the dimension down. If I understand you tedg, using the lisp I would have to know the dimension a head of time?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB6599 View Post
    right now, I copy out of the measurement field and paste into the text override field after I put the dimension down. If I understand you tedg, using the lisp I would have to know the dimension a head of time?
    Yes you are correct, for the routine I posted, you "override" the text/dim on the fly by typing it in when prompted, as you're placing the dimension.

What do you mean you "copy out of the measurement field"? Is this a spreadsheet or something?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    Seems like using viewports would be more efficient. Draw you full size object in MS, set up a layout for plotting, and cut viewports. then dimension in Paperspace
    +3. That's the way I used to do it.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

If it's correct in the "measurement field" (length property or are you creating an object field?) then it should be correct in the dimension. If not then you need to create a dimension style that displays the dimensions the way you want them.

While it makes no sense to me why you would scale an object to plot it instead of using paper space viewports (way it's been done since version 11 came out in 1992) you can set Scale factor in a dimension style on the Primary Units tab so dimensions will display the way you want.

Does you office have any CAD standards? You might want to ask a coworker how they handle the same issues.

Login to Give a bone

You would have to incorporate the dimension command inside a single routine that takes the value from the dimension, allows you to stretch the object (to shorten it) and then pastes the original value into the override field.

Login to Give a bone

In my previously uploaded attachments @ #6, 1- 'full scale' the part is over 19 feet long and is plotted out at 1"=1'-0". 2- 'part' is plotted out at 3"=1'-0" and I cut up a copy of the original so that it would fit and be able to add annotation in model space. I want everything in model space, I do not want to go all over hells half acre putting text and dimensions in two different places and have to remember that if it comes time to change it.

tedg @ #13. I dimension the full scale copy of the part. Then I have to go back to the dimension, click on it then in the measurement field, copy that and paste it into the text override field, before doing surgery on the part so that it will fit at 3" scale in this case.

Tom @ #15. I am it. I am the only drafter/detailer in the shop. Most of my experience is as a structural drafter and learning what the shop needs as a detailer as I go and trying to set up standards as I go.

Login to Give a bone

You really do need to investigate the use of paperspace - it will make YOUR life much easier. No more making copies and hacking them about to make them fit and still be legible.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

In my previously uploaded attachments @ #6, 1- 'full scale' the part is over 19 feet long and is plotted out at 1"=1'-0". 2- 'part' is plotted out at 3"=1'-0" and I cut up a copy of the original so that it would fit and be able to add annotation in model space. I want everything in model space, I do not want to go all over hells half acre putting text and dimensions in two different places and have to remember that if it comes time to change it.
    Best solution is to draw it once in model space. Place all dimensions and text in paper space. Half the drawing time and you will never need a dimension override again. A single dimension style can be used for any scale viewport with the text and arrows displaying exactly the same size on your plots. Easy peasy! Your way takes ten times longer that doing it correctly.

tedg @ #13. I dimension the full scale copy of the part. Then I have to go back to the dimension, click on it then in the measurement field, copy that and paste it into the text override field, before doing surgery on the part so that it will fit at 3" scale in this case.
    We still are having trouble figuring out what you are doing. Since you say you plot out the copied part at a different scale there's no need to scale it so why would the dimensions not display the correct measurements? If you are scaling the copy to plot it at the same scale just add a new dimension style that will display the correct measurements. Create the new dimension style called "One Third" and set Scale factor in a dimension style on the Primary Units tab to 1/3 so dimensions will display the way you want.

We're all trying to help, please understand there may not be anyone else who's ever tried to dimension the way you're attempting. You need to be more specific about your process so we can understand why dimensions are not displaying correctly for you. Dimension overrides should never be an option and are considered a fireable offence in many offices.

Login to Give a bone

Tom,
    I'm pretty sure he's drawing long lengths of realtively small sections. Make the length fit into a drawing and the section is too small to understand; make the section a sensible size and the length is too great for the paper.
    I used to do what he describes in (modelspace only) R9 and R10.

MikeB,
    using paperspace, there are two possible approaches -
    1. two windows - one for each end - and paperspace dimensions.
    2. three windows - one for each end and one for the dimension text which is also in modelspace.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast