Thread: Applying a change to all or a range of Viewpoints?

Login to Give a bone

Post Applying a change to all or a range of Viewpoints?

I often find myself realizing I want certain geometry hidden or shown in several pre-existing Viewpoints where that geometry may or may not be as I desire it to be. Currently I have to iterate through the tree and verify the desired visual state and make the same change over and over again to those Viewpoints where the state is not as desired. This is tedious, repetitive and exactly the type of thing computers were designed to remedy. What I want to be able to do is select the offending geometry then select a range of Viewpoints and then apply say, a hide or show and that change occur in all of the selected Viewpoints. Currently that is not the case. I can do as described but with no change in any of the Viewpoints. I thought it maybe my approach is wrong and that what I want to do is possible but must be accomplished in some other way.

Is this the case or does this belong as a Wish List item?

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Applying a change to all or a range of Viewpoints?

im not sure what you are referring to with geometry but that seems to me that it's exactly what View Template does

All AUGI, all the time pauljordan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Have you tried making the change to one viewpoint, then saving that viewpoint or 'updating' it using the right click menu? Then you can select a bunch of other viewpoints you need to make look the same (things like text turned off, layers hidden, not much really) and right click but, this time select the edit command through the right click menu.

To get to the menus I'm talking about, select your viewpoints, then right click on the viewpoint names. If you have multiple selected, they'll all be changed according to what you select.

It's one of those things you might have to play around with to get it to work the way you want it to work but, I've used it before with some decent results.
    Give a man AutoCad, and he'll draw you a floor plan.
    Give a man Revit and he'll build you a house.
    Give Cadmama a couple of drinks and she'll have everyone singing Rockytop!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dhurtubise View Post
    im not sure what you are referring to with geometry but that seems to me that it's exactly what View Template does
    View Templates, as far as I know, are specific to Revit. I am not aware of View Templates within Navisworks and neither is the help within Navisworks itself. The Revit View Template convention is the gist of what I want to do in Navisworks, though... that is, apply a specific set of attributes to a set of Viewpoints.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by pauljordan View Post
    Have you tried making the change to one viewpoint, then saving that viewpoint or 'updating' it using the right click menu? Then you can select a bunch of other viewpoints you need to make look the same (things like text turned off, layers hidden, not much really) and right click but, this time select the edit command through the right click menu.

To get to the menus I'm talking about, select your viewpoints, then right click on the viewpoint names. If you have multiple selected, they'll all be changed according to what you select.

It's one of those things you might have to play around with to get it to work the way you want it to work but, I've used it before with some decent results.
    I use the Update method all of the time to get a viewpoint changed to the way that I want it. The problem in my case is that making the same change to multiple viewpoints requires loading the given viewpoint making the same change again and hitting update again. Otherwise I would be making all of my viewpoints look exactly the same. For example, in this case, I realized that a metal stair system is visible in every single viewpoint. I want that metal stair system removed in every single viewpoint. Otherwise, every single viewpoint has something different in it from the others although they all currently display the metal stair system. Sure, I can load a given viewpoint, select the metal stair geometry, hide it and update that single viewpoint. If I were to then update the next viewpoint I would have just made a copy of the 1st viewpoint.

Using the Edit menu gives me options to adjust the camera position and the Show/Hide attributes, etc. If I choose Edit with multiple viewpoint selected all options are greyed out except the show/hide and materials checkboxes. I'm not sure what you are saying I should be doing otherwise. If I select multiple viewpoints, hide some geometry that appears in all viewpoints (say, the metal stairs) then right click the group of selected viewpoints and choose Update it will only hide that geometry in the viewpoint I right clicked on even though the selection indicates multiple viewpoints selected still. If I proceed to right click and choose update again I will then have multiple viewpoints that look exactly the same.