See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Two families - same object styles and line styles - different results

Where reference planes have Defines Origin checked
    Login to Give a bone

Default Two families - same object styles and line styles - different results

I have two different floor drains that I wanted to change some linework in. I have transferred project standards with all things checked. I have copy and pasted the lines from one to another. I have removed all linework from one and started over with the transfers and then again with the pasting.
    I get two results when the families are loaded into a project. I am baffled here. Any ideas?
    These are plumbing families that were taken from the library and modified for company standards.
    Here is just the center lines of one of them and the complete family of the other. I can't even get the center lines to work!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Two families - same object styles and line styles - different results

On the Left is a floor sink on the Right a floor drain. Does that make a difference? I have gone as far as to put in a plane above the floor line just to put the linework on it.

All AUGI, all the time CADastrophe's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Two families - same object styles and line styles - different results

Can you attach the Family files?

Login to Give a bone

Sure I can
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

I loaded both of these Families in to a new Project and they seem to function and appear identically. Can you expand on the issue, or post a sample Project file displaying the issue?

Login to Give a bone

The center lines do not appear the same in both families once loaded into a project. I have been experimenting with a detail component loaded into the drain, copying and pasting the lines from the sink to the drain, transferring project standards, etc. and the center lines in the drain are ALWAYS bolder and black.

Login to Give a bone

The only thing I did to the floor plan view was to take the view depth down 12" so I could see the drain. I have a Plan plane that is above the level in the drain family trying to get my lines to be above the floor level when the family has been placed. I just have a feeling it has to do with the family being AT the level it is being placed on where the sink drain is slightly ABOVE the level. Just a guess. I have been trying to discern what is exactly different with these two families.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Your suspicion seems to be correct. If you set the Bottom of the View Range to at least 1/16", the Family appears correctly. Also, if you edit the Family and make sure that NO part of it extends above the "Center (Elevation)" Reference Plane (including Model Lines) and reload it, then it appears correct as well.

Login to Give a bone

That did it. I knew I was circling the drain on this one!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by CADastrophe View Post
    Your suspicion seems to be correct. If you set the Bottom of the View Range to at least 1/16", the Family appears correctly. Also, if you edit the Family and make sure that NO part of it extends above the "Center (Elevation)" Reference Plane (including Model Lines) and reload it, then it appears correct as well.
    OK - so to get the drain to look the way I wanted it to I did not mess with my View Range partly due to the large corporation documentation on our template and all the work that would take. My solution was to go into the front view and I drew a model line - Invisible line - from the level upwards about 1/8" and then everything is beautiful.
    I think about the Invisible line when I have something that will be above the cutting plane that I want to have show up but I did not immediately jump on it for something BELOW!
    It's a beautiful thing!