See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: How Do You Use The Autoloader Mechanism?

Login to Give a bone

Default How Do You Use The Autoloader Mechanism?

Autoloader what first released in the 2012 version, and has been enhanced with each version since (to some degree or another)... See the link in my signature for the official White Paper.

Being that the Autoloader mechanism handles many aspects of internal/external (3rd party) customizations (i.e., ARX, CUIx, DLL, LSP, Tool Palettes, etc.), in addition to help document registration for F1 support within UI, I'm curious to know others' approach to leveraging Autoloader for deployment rollout, and even daily production.

How do you use the Autoloader mechanism?

For those previously unaware of Autoloader, would you use it now (that you've read the White Paper)?

For those that are aware, and choose not to use it, why?

Cheers
    Last edited by BlackBox; 2014-09-16 at 11:06 PM. Reason: I can haz a grammar
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How Do You Use The Autoloader Mechanism?

What can it do for our situation?
    We have ±40 seats of various flavors of AutoCAD all pointed to a central server where our lsp, fas, mnl, etc. files are stored.
    We have no issues with this setup, so what problem is "autoloaded" solving?

TIA
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    What can it do for our situation?
    We have ±40 seats of various flavors of AutoCAD all pointed to a central server where our lsp, fas, mnl, etc. files are stored.
    We have no issues with this setup, so what problem is "autoloaded" solving?
    I do not recall saying that there is a problem for Autoloader to solve, particularly for those who are happy to continuing to do things as they've always done them (since they learned them).

Admittedly, Autoloader is a relatively new mechanism, and is still maturing... With the advent of Autoloader now being able to incorporate custom RegistryEntries, SystemVariables, and EnvironmentVariables (2015+ only), in addition to the ease with which one can implement, and update customizations across multiple platforms and versions, I was simply curious to know how others are utilizing it.

Cheers

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I don't... most because of being happy and comfortable with what we have. It works well, and to this point it hasn't broken.

We are also a very small company and automation isn't nearly as important as it would be in a larger environment IMO.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Interestingly enough, as the company scales up so does the importance of centralized custom content. Going with a local .bundle system will require some additional deployment to keep all the computers doing the same thing, the same way. That requires both myself and IT involvement, as opposed to more conventional means which only requires me. So its maybe not quite to where I would be making use of it, just enough to require more analysis.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dgorsman View Post
    Interestingly enough, as the company scales up so does the importance of centralized custom content. Going with a local .bundle system will require some additional deployment to keep all the computers doing the same thing, the same way. That requires both myself and IT involvement, as opposed to more conventional means which only requires me. So its maybe not quite to where I would be making use of it, just enough to require more analysis.
    I have voiced the same complaint to Autodesk many times.

The concept has a great deal of merit, just not done through to completeness to support (even a single system variable defined?) network location from which to load .bundles.

That said, managing the .bundles is no more difficult than managing user installs really... Provided you have the ability to implement via 'push' via NETLOGON within your given domain, and depending on your given app's components, can even 'push' mid-session, and prompt for reload via bubble, etc.

Cheers

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    I do not recall saying that there is a problem for Autoloader to solve....
    I was not implying that you did, that was simply a question.

In other words, you asked "do we use it?", "would we use it after reading about it?" and if not, "why?"
    So my answer was essentially "no, but can you show me why I should?"

I can see a benefit for a developer, but for distributing apps/routines/etc. to users on a LAN/WAN, I don't see what it's solving.

Thanks.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

... my answer was essentially "no, but can you show me why I should?"
    Oh, well why didn't you just say so?

I can see a benefit for a developer, but for distributing apps/routines/etc. to users on a LAN/WAN, I don't see what it's solving.
    You're correct that Autoloader was initially implemented as a means by which for Autodesk to offer a cohesive deployment tool for Exchange Apps (developers), supporting multiple products (not just AutoCAD), but also supports *any* .bundle made available to 2012+ versions.

As a personal example....

One long standing issue that Autoloader allowed me to mitigate (solve?), is the potentiality of an Acad.[lsp[fas[vlx]]] or AcadDoc.[lsp[fas[vlx]]] virus / worm, which can be hidden in an old archive folder, or eTransmit, etc. and easily overlooked.

I've implemented a 'Blacklist' .bundle which includes an XML defined register of undesired / disallowed file names and/or file extensions (i.e., .FAS, .VLX only), which is loaded at session start via .NET plug-in, and prosecuted prior to any Acad* file being loaded during startup sequence. If any are found, the potential threats are neutralized, and this information is reported to user at drawing open. Additionally, one can load their own / company standard version of an Acad.lsp, and AcadDoc.lsp file, with the added benefit of being able to name said files anything they want, which inherently makes it closer to impossible for malicious code to infiltrate.

That said, this could be entirely avoided, if Autodesk would simply modify the order of operations for the FindFile() Method which is used at session start, and Document open respectively to locate both Acad.[lsp[fas[vlx]]] and AcadDoc.[lsp[fas[vlx]]] (depending on ACADLSPASDOC). More specifically, the FindFile() Method currently searches the Document's location (DWGPREFIX) first, and only if none are found, then searches SFSP. It *should* first search SFSP (you know, that thing that one or more admins took the time to plan, safeguard, and implement?), and if none are found, then search DWGPREFIX, which would inherently protect those that use these user-defined files, and expose those that do not to the same risks they are today.

While the same could be done via manually added Registry Loader, in this instance, thanks to Autoloader I don't have to worry any of it... I setup one PackageContents.xml file, add a simple 'push' to the NETLOGON .BAT file for CAD users, and done.

Cheers

Computer Specs: