Summary: I wish the browser (in .ipt .iam .idw) was something more like the view cube.
I wish Inventor was more dual screen friendly.

Description: I work on a dual screen. I like having the part that I am working on the left screen and it's assembly on the right. Or working on the drawing on the left while the part or assembly is on the right. Or comparing parts and or assemblies on each screen.

This saves a lot of ctrl+tab since the way I work involves having several files open at once, (on normal average 5 or 6 files at any one time, sometimes I hit 15 because changes in one place often affect a lot of other places.)

I also do a lot of drag/drop like when I add a part to an assembly, I'll drag/drop it from one screen to the other.

Unfortunately Inventor is not very dual screen friendly. The browser plane acts like a toolbar and will only be in one place for both my screens no matter which file is active.

In SW, the browser is part of the drawing, assembly or part much like in inventor the way the view cube acts. This allows less confusion in making sure what I see in browser is for correct file and also facilitates comparisons.

Right now not only is Inventor less friendly in this matter, more confusing, but also forces me to send my mouse icon all the way to the left of my left screen when I want to find something in the right screen, like a part, a feature or a work plane.
SW even has an icon atop the file windows to quickly, (with single click,) send a file from one screen to the other.

In SW, when I drag/drop parts in assemblies, if I drag a part by clicking a face or an edge, when I'm at the drop, I can also automatically add one or two constraints in the same operation, saving lots of time, (especially with hardware.) Dragging a bolt from its round edge and dropping to the edge of a hole should also add and insert without any other input.

Product and Feature: Inventor - Part Modeling

Submitted By: David Dessaints on 09/17/2014