See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cloud-based Revit?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default cloud-based Revit?

I'm hoping that once again the AUGI forums can save the day. I have a collaboration question:

I have a large project (my architectural Revit file is 236MB) and I'm collaborating with structural and MEP consultants in different offices (some are in different states). I would like to eliminate the constant transfer of each others' Revit files and instead have everyone working with "live" files. We would all be linking the other files into our own, but I don't want to waste the time uploading my file to AutoDesk360 and then download and import everyone else's file - this is all very time-consuming.

Essentially what I'd like to have happen is when I am working on my architectural model and Save to Central, it saves my changes and also updates my file that the consultants have linked into their Revit files. Just like with a work-shared file, when I make changes and save to Central it updates to my coworkers elsewhere in the office, I would like the file to update the linked file that the consultants are using.

Is this possible? I am under a tight deadline and any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: cloud-based Revit?

I think that you want is to use Revit Server. I've never used it, but think that what you are describing is what it is for. I'll let others answer with more information, but at least having a name might help you take a few steps on your own.

Login to Give a bone

First of all, if you are under a tight deadline, I would never recommend jumping to a new process.
    But, if you really want to:
    Revit server is the appropriate method for working on the same Revit model in multiple offices in the same company. It is not, however, intended for use between different firms. Grossrly oversimplifying, everyone has to be under the same network domain.
    Autodesk is testing a true cloud-based project collaboration system called Project Skyscraper that sounds more like what you're looking for.
    Here's more info:
    http://inthefold.autodesk.com/in_the...rchitects.html
    This is, however, only in testing and is also by invitation only.
    Not sure I'd be willing to put a high-visibility project on it, but I guess somehow has to....

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I have to disagree with you Dave
    Revit server will do exactly that(i also strongly suggest throwing a Riverbed in the mix to speed up things).
    Keep in mind a few things
    - A 250MB models is pretty big for Revit Server
    - Even if your consultants are on the same Revit Server you still have to reload the files and there's no decent mechanism to let you they've updated
    - I don't want to see the consultant work in progress throughout the day

That said, we still use a goof old FTP. Our files are automatically transferred to the FTP every morning. The consultant does the same. Then they are copied from the FTP to the Project folder. So when the models are open in the morning you get the latest version. No manual work required, totally automated.

Login to Give a bone

I guess that's news to me, Daniel.
    When we tried it, you had to have people inside your firewall to have access to the Revit Server. Meaning that a consultant in a different company would either have to be given a user name inside our office, or we'd have to set up a trust relationship somehow outside our firewall.

But I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Admittedly, I'm speaking about an older version of Revit Server.

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If they are not inside your network you simply need to establish a VPN and you're good to go. You then have to go defining the Role of each server but it got a lot simpler on 2015.
    Our IT guy did a class at RTC EU last year on it

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I agree with dhurtubise - we have had over five separate Revit Server collaborations with outside firms. Ironically, working with larger firms has been more difficult due to tight security policies and overlapping IP ranges in configuring the VPN.

Communication is the best indicator for success for inter-firm Revit Server projects. Both IT support teams need to be responsive.

All AUGI, all the time kyle.bernhardt's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Jessica,
    Today, you've got 3 options:

1. Invest in a technology like Panzura across all project stakeholders.
    2. Invest in a centralized virtualization approach where all stakeholders remotely operate a virtualized instance of Revit.
    3. Invest in a Revit Server infrastructure and architect proper network access between WANs of the stakeholder firms.

Realistically, switching to any of these options on a project mid-flight is a non-trivial effort, and I'd wouldn't recommend it. Your best bet is to try it on a new project from the start, after coordination amongst your stakeholders.

I should add that your stated scenario is exactly why are have been building, and plan to launch soon, our Project Skyscraper. This cloud service allows multiple firms to collaborate on the same central model(s) without any IT investment, while also allowing the entire project team to view, search, and socially interact with the project models in their web browser or mobile devices without PDF or DWF formats required. We have a running beta if you want to check it out, send me a PM. Full disclosure, it is not for active production work, so it won't solve your current project challenge. You'll need to wait until we launch.

Cheers,
    Kyle

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

1. ...Panzura/Advance2000 - Let someone else manage/support the system. It is can be expensive and complicated for customized environments, however it does not commit you to high capital costs.

2. ...centralized virtualization (Citrix/VMware/RDP [VDI]) - It has a high capital investment in hardware and support, and can be inconvenient with sharing the environment with external users and 24/7 project schedules. Can support more users, more softwares, and is robust with low bandwidth or high latency connections.

3. ...Revit Server infrastructure - Gives the most flexibility for each firm with different customized environments, but is not robust with low bandwidth or high latency connections. However, it is the most affordable option, and can be relatively easy to implement so long as everyone agrees to using a VPN connection.

If you are collaborating across the globe, none of the technologies manage inter-continental traffic across 12+ time zones. I would be curious if Project Skyscraper has that functionality.
    In the meantime, I would use a Revit Server Network to bridge VDI - just a thought
    Last edited by meng005; 2014-10-14 at 04:01 PM.

Login to Give a bone

meng005,
    You have certainly hit the major technologies for connecting, but I want to let you know that some of your assessments aren't completely correct.

Panzura and Advance 2000 are completely different technologies.

A2K offers to host your data, and provide virtual desktops for doing the work on that data, so really it falls under the VDI category. It is a good solution, but the VDI experience is relative to the latency to the A2K VDI. Also, you would have to plan if you want all of your coporate data stored, or just that project. We tried this before we invested in Panzura.

Panzura on the other hand is a NAS device with a cloud back-end. Panzura (the company) does not manage any of your data. You can choose a public cloud back-end, or a private cloud with On-Prem back-end, but in the end, your project data is completely in your control. As far as collaboration goes, Panzura does have a solution called "Secure Connect" that allows multiple companies to work together on a Revit project. There is some set-up involved considering two different companies will have separate domains, but it is not a difficult process. Of Course there is always the question of who is going to pay for the Panzura controller and the licensing.

Also, Panzura has deployments that DO span around the world, and do so effectively. Some third world countries that have a difficult time with consistent internet connections can be troublesome, but that would be the case for any solution where collaboration is key.

Revit Server is of course the least expensive, but if you are working on large models, you will want some for of WAN optimization in place, and suddenly the cost is going to increase significantly. Also, with Revit server, all of your other data (Specs, Photos, etc. will have to be transmitted and stored somewhere separately. At least with the other options, all of the project data would be stored in a single solution/location.

I hope this helps a little. Best of luck!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast