Thread: View Range, Wall Openings and Visibility Graphics

Login to Give a bone

Default View Range, Wall Openings and Visibility Graphics

Hello to all,

I am having some difficulties in getting my plan to show openings in a wall correctly, when the opening was created using the wall opening tool. This particular plan has been set up to display slightly different than how we would normally show a 2nd floor framing plan. For clarity reasons the walls above have a VG override setting to be shown has hidden and on a lower pen weight than normal so that other items stand out. The problem that I am having is that the walls below are not showing the opening jambs in the wall. I have tried adjusting the view range and the only settings that seem to work correctly end up showing the slab on grade below as well. If I adjust the wall transparency in the VG overrides then my walls above become solid, which I believe is showing the bottom edge (sill plate lines) of the wall above. Using the linework tool isn't an option for the walls above due to the nature of the project, that would cause a lot more of unwanted work. I really don't want to have to remodel all the walls below as separate walls that stop at each opening or by adjusting the wall profile in an elevation view since there are many walls that would have to adjusted. I'm not sure of what other options I have at this point and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've attached a pdf with a couple of screen shots of just 1 example wall that is having this problem.

Thanks,

Kyle
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: View Range, Wall Openings and Visibility Graphics

Sorry to pollute your topic but i have around the same problem. i need to show wall openings in my structural plan where I have hollow core slabs. It seems that the TOP in view range DOES NOT work. Im using Revit 2014 and all i can have is the slabs or the wall without openings or ONLY wall without slabs.

The most strange thing is that at home with Revit 2015 it worked like charm.

What can be the problem?

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Use a Family instead of the Wall Opening Tool

Login to Give a bone

dhurtubise,

That's probably what I'll start doing in the future, once I get a chance to set up the family, but that doesn't really solve the issue in this project. Do you know what is the purpose of the Wall opening tool? I thought it was for exactly what I used it for, since it does show up on my structure ribbon. I ended up just using detail lines to show the jambs on my CD's, but really feel that I shouldn't of had to. In all honesty creating a family for showing openings, whether they are a door, window, or some other opening in wall seems a little overkill since I would have to create a new instance for every different size opening. Maybe I'm over thinking that plan of action, could you elaborate more on how you would create that family?

Thanks,

Kyle

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If you think about the workflow it will be a million times faster to use a family then to edit each wall individually for each instance.
    Since you work in Structure you could use a simple door family and place it

Login to Give a bone

I have a new project that I recently used simple door and window families to create the openings in the walls. I am definitely going to implement this going forward as I do see the workflow rate increase over using the wall opening tool. The biggest surprise to me was the doors and the few full height windows would automatically cut into the curbing as well. I only mention that since the curb and hosting walls were 2 separate materials, the curbing in this case is the concrete stemwall extended above the finish floor and the hosting wall masonry. The wall opening tool essentially would of had to be used twice, once on the stemwall and once on the wall itself because of them being 2 different materials. Once I moved up to the framing plan though, I again encountered issues where the openings weren't displaying unless the visibility was set to wire frame. After much time of looking in the help file and cruising the many different forums, I was still at a loss as to why the jambs were not showing up. It wasn't until I happened across a the "Show Hidden Lines" parameter in the properties box under the Graphics section. This was set to discipline, which in my case is structural, once I changed it to All, my opening jambs appeared as desired. Now I am wondering if in the project that I was working on that "inspired" my original post in this thread if that was the cause of the openings created by the wall openings tool to not show their jambs on the framing plans.

My other quandaries are why would the developers limit which hidden lines are shown based on discipline? At our firm we don't work in the architectural model, we always link them in to our model. We are a structural engineering firm and trying to implement the copy/monitor with the architects that we work with that use revit just isn't feasible at this time. Also not all of our clients use revit. In fact the current project that I'm working the architect isn't using it and all CD's are being generated in ACAD. We are just building a model for our own clarification and practice purposes. With revit's object styles, visibility graphics and even the hide/show objects tools it seems to me that controlling what 1 wants visible is easy enough to control regardless of your discipline, which makes me feel that the "Show Hidden Lines" parameter is unnecessary. If someone would like to elaborate as to why it is necessary, I would love to hear their thoughts on it.