Thread: How to migrate from one sheet size(1117) to another(2436)

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy How to migrate from one sheet size(1117) to another(2436)

Have used autocad desktop 2006 since 1990 and you would think Im a genius by now but Im definitely not.

My question is I have a need to migrate from a set of house plans drawn on 1117 (tabloid-landscape) with plans-elev-sec at 1/8"-1'-0" to a 2436 sheet size in order to meet a local pud's demands for all working drawing sets to be on 2436 with 1/4"-1' generally scale use (plans-elevations-sections) and detail at larger sizes.

Never done this before--any suggestions as to the least painful way to do this would be greatly appreciated--my first thoughts have been::
    • create a real world rectang at 1/4"-1' scale e.g. 96'x144' and cut paste my 1117 plans elev sec into this rectang and double the scale--with oversized text and all
    • create new layout tabs in my 1117 drawings with a 2436 viewport for each sheet with new 1/4"-1' scales--I heard text sizes are automatically adjusted this way to prevent what im told would be much too large a text situation
    • what about all text sheets i have several of like specs with some jpeg illustrations that go with it--text and jpeg are pasted jpeg panels

Any help definitely appreciated
    Kent McCoy
    KMDesign-Saint george island fla
    Last edited by Wanderer; 2014-10-13 at 03:34 PM. Reason: removed links caught in filter

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to migrate from one sheet size(1117) to another(2436)

If you are using ADT 2006, then the automatic adjustment of annotation sizes is going to be somewhat limited, as annotative text was not introduced into AutoCAD 2008 (and, therefore, AutoCAD Architecture 200. ADT/ACA did have some annotative capabilities prior to that, but much of that only affected the initial placement of objects, and later changes in drawing scale did not affect previously placed items. (Some items, such as Multi-View Blocks, could have been set up to support multiple scales, based on changing the current Display Configuration (and thereby changing the active Display Representation Set and active Display Representation for Multi-View Blocks).

That said, if you were just enlarging the sheets but keeping the drawing scales, the transition would not be too hard. But if you are changing the drawing scales, then you may have a bit of reworking to do if text that is twice the intended plotted height is not acceptable. Text or any other graphics that are part of an attached image file will also not be affected by changing the drawing scale. Are these placed in model space and viewed through a (scaled?) viewport, or are they directly placed in the layout (paper space)? Assuming you have your layouts set up to plot at 1:1 (with scaled viewports), images referenced directly in the layout should be fine as is, if you want to keep the existing text size. If you are using a scaled viewport to get the images to the desired size, those viewports could be used as is, if no change the plotted output is desired on the new sheet.