See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Can I re-create the host object from a face based template in a different tempalte for use with voids?

Login to Give a bone

Question Can I re-create the host object from a face based template in a different tempalte for use with voids?

I work for a ventilation company and am currently in the process of building up a catalogue of all our fan products as Revit families.
    I have a generic family template that has a lot of parameters and material set up how I want them.
    This template was not made from the face based model template.

I have tried for some time searching for this problem but have not come up with an answer.

I would like to use my template but have the functionality of the box host object in the face based tempalte whereby I can cut a void out of that host object and have it then cut the same hole out of the wall or surface the family gets applied to.
    I would rather not nest the family in the face based template as I would lose/hide all my parameters and company info (I know I can then associate them all but this would be very long-winded as there are lots of parameters already set up)

Is there any way I can recreate the hidden host object inside my generic template and have it work the same way?

Basically I want to model a fan in my own template and have it cut a hole out of the wall it gets mounted on, automatically.
    Is this possible? Or do I have to create another company template from scratch using the face based template?

Any help would be great.

Michael
    Last edited by mrgrotey649416; 2014-10-15 at 03:40 PM.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can I re-create the host object from a face based template in a different tempalte for use with voids?

Not really, they don't make it simple to change hosting bias, there is no easy button. There are a couple blog posts that I recall reading that describe a workaround or two to make the transition but it seems to me there is always some loss in fidelity. It is quite likely that by the time you try one and find out it doesn't quite get you all the way there you'd be thinking you'd have been better off making a new version of the family.

Fwiw, if your family is used by a Revit MEP user that is relying on a linked architectural model the void in your family won't be able to cut the linked file's wall. That means you might go to the effort to allow for a hole to be cut that can't be in the end. The MEP user will still have to coordinate an opening in the wall with the architect.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can I re-create the host object from a face based template in a different tempalte for use with voids?

Ah that's a shame, I guess I'll just have to create a new template from the face based template file.
    Thanks for the info on it not cutting out of linked files. Didn't know that.

Thanks very much for the response