See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Annotative text "Paper defined" and "Model defined" height?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Question Annotative text "Paper defined" and "Model defined" height?

Hi,
    I've created a new text style with text height 10 units and set it Annotative.
    After selecting some text, I seen a properties value "Paper defined height" and "Model defined height".
    Anyone have idea about those values? This is always displays 0 for me.
    How those values are displayed/calculated?
    What is the use of the value?

Any help would be appreciated.
    anno.PNG
    Sandeep
    Last edited by sandeep_koodal; 2014-10-16 at 06:35 AM.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Annotative text "Paper defined" and "Model defined" height?

I am not sure if you are familiar with hand drafting and Leroy boards but I will use that as a reference to help you understand. When you hand drafted you had these boards that had the alphabetic and symbols on them. Depending on the height of the text that you wanted to use you would grab the corresponding board. For example, an 80 Leroy Board will annotate a drawing with a text height of .08 This same thought process is used when annotating drawings in CAD.

First you need to ask yourself what height do I want my text to be at when the drawing is plotted. The national cad standard is 3/32 or .09. This is what you set as your Paper defined height. So if you want your text height to be .1 set that in the Paper defined height.

The model defined height will be calculated automatically based on what you set your paper defined height. At a 1/8 or a 30 scale drawings you would never see .1 when printed. So CAD needs to do a calculation to determine what the height of the text needs to be in modelspace so the text will print out at the correct height. How cad calculates this is simple, take your Paper defined height of .09 multiplied by your drawing scale and that will give you the model defined height. So .09x30=2.7. So in order for your drawing to print out text at a height of .09 the text height in model space needs to be 2.7. The smaller the scale the bigger the text the bigger the scale the smaller the text, meaning a 50 scale drawings will have a larger text size then a 10 scale drawing.

A simpler way to look at it is, Paper Defined means height in Paperspace which is set in your styles. Model Defined means height in model space which CAD calculates based on the Paper defined size set in your styles.

Hope this helps and is easy to understand.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Your text has 0 width, select it and it will only have one grip. Enter values for width and height and it will have multiple grips for resizing.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks all for the replies.
    @Iceberg, I know how annotation scaling works, but the problem was the specific string in the properties palette. As the image displays the value for width but no value for height, and I was confused.
    I found the reason as @Tom Beauford said. Normally Mtext generated with 0 height(not the font height but the boundary). I can adjust the height of the Mtext when I select the "column" to "no column" by the column menu from the toolbar. After that, both highlighted values are updated as per the new height.

*Sorry for the late reply
    Have a great day