Thread: Change Standard Pipes Outer Diameter

Login to Give a bone

Default Change Standard Pipes Outer Diameter

Hello

I am trying to set a Pipes inner and outer diameter. Currently if the Pipe has a diameter of 150mm, then the Pipe automatically has an inner diameter of 154mm and an outer diameter of 168mm. Our drainage guys are complaining that our addin is bringing in their pipes slightly too low (caused by the outer diameter of the Pipe).

How can we change a Standard Pipes outer diameter?

I've made the below attempts but none work. I've tried setting the Pipes inner and outer diameter parameters but these are read only params. I also tried setting the PipeType's inner and outer diameter parameters but these are read only params aswell. Note its not the Pipes insulation thickness thats the cause (because thats 0mm).

Any ideas how to change a Pipes outer and inner diameter?

Code:
    // None work
        public Pipe createPipeSetOuterDiameter(Document doc, PipeType pipeType, XYZ strt, XYZ end)
        {
            // Set Pipe Types outer and inner diameter: Fails
            pipeType.get_Parameter(BuiltInParameter.RBS_PIPE_OUTER_DIAMETER).Set(0.49213);
            pipeType.get_Parameter(BuiltInParameter.RBS_PIPE_INNER_DIAM_PARAM).Set(0.49213);

Pipe pipe = doc.Create.NewPipe(strt, end, pipeType);
            pipe.get_Parameter(BuiltInParameter.RBS_PIPE_DIAMETER_PARAM).Set(0.55);

return pipe;
        }

public Pipe createPipeSetOuterDiameterTech2(Document doc, PipeType pipeType, XYZ strt, XYZ end)
        {

pipe.get_Parameter(BuiltInParameter.RBS_PIPE_OUTER_DIAMETER).Set(0.49213); // Cannot set inner or outer diameter. Both are read only
            pipe.get_Parameter(BuiltInParameter.RBS_PIPE_INNER_DIAM_PARAM).Set(0.49213);

return pipe;
        }

public Pipe createPipeSetOuterDiameterTech3(Document doc, PipeType pipeType, XYZ strt, XYZ end)
        {

ICollection<ElementId> insulationIds = InsulationLiningBase.GetInsulationIds(doc, pipe.Id);
            TaskDialog.Show("Number ", insulationIds.Count.ToString()); // Always outputs "Number 0"

foreach (ElementId insulationId in insulationIds)
            {
                Element insEl = doc.GetElement(insulationId);
                Autodesk.Revit.DB.Plumbing.PipeInsulation insulation = insEl as Autodesk.Revit.DB.Plumbing.PipeInsulation;

// Still unable to set the outer diameter just the insulation thickness
                if (insulation != null) {
                    insulation.Thickness = 0.49213; //Set value to whatever you want here, value is always in feet, regardless of the units of your model
                    TaskDialog.Show("Thickness", insulation.Thickness.ToString());
                }
            }

return pipe;
        }

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Change Standard Pipes Outer Diameter

You should always think of how things are done in the UI before you try to solve the solution using the API.

To change pipe inner/outer diameter using the UI, you need to open Manage -> MEP Settings -> Mechanical Settings, and enter the "Segments and Sizes" section of the settings.

Here, you set the nominal, inner and outer diameter for each pipe material. Each pipe type is assigned a material, and uses the size catalog for that material.

In the API, it appears that the PipeSegment class is what you are looking for. I see the AddSize method which seems relevant to what you are trying to accomplish.

I would also take a look at the PipeScheduleType class and the Class property on the PipeType class, which may also be related to what you're trying to accomplish.

I have not used this class personally, so I'm not entirely sure how to implement what you're looking for. Hopefully this points you in the right direction.
    Last edited by ColinStark; 2014-10-27 at 09:26 PM.