Thread: schedule/tag nested family?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default schedule/tag nested family?

I tried searching for an answer to this question but didn't find anything that helped. I'm hoping someone out there knows how to do this...

Can you schedule nested families? I'm working on windows and I have a window family that is a combination of 3 nested window families - casement, fixed, casement. I would like to be able to schedule the large opening and it's information (like rough opening) but also be able to schedule the individual windows so the manufacturer knows how big to make all of those. Essentially the large opening would be window #101 and the casement, fixed, casement would be windows #101A, 101B, and 101C.

Also, is there a way to tag the individual windows? Right now I'm only able to tag the large opening but not the nested families.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: schedule/tag nested family?

Make sure the nested families are 'shared'. Open them in the family editor and check the properties and be sure the 'shared' check box is checked then reload into the host family.
    Tagging should also work if they are nested. If it doesn't happen you can tab into the family to tag.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the help.

Does making the nested families "shared" mean that the larger family can't be parametric anymore? I've gotten the nested windows to tag and schedule but when I go to make different family types (different height/width) the nested families don't update.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If you have parameters in the nested families that you want to control in the host then you need to 'map' those parameters to parameters in the host family.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

The "mapping" feature doesn't appear in the host - when I try to edit the nested families in the host and go to map the parameters, the little box that I can normally click on is not there, my only option is to manually change the value, and if the parameter has a formula in the nested family I can't do anything in the host. I've attached the host family if that helps.

Am I missing something?
    Attached Files Attached Files

All AUGI, all the time CADastrophe's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You can only "map" or "link" Instance Parameters that belong to a Shared Nested Family; this functionality becomes disabled for its Type Parameters, which is by design. Shared Nested Families are loaded into the Project as independent Families, and since they can be subsequently nested into different host Families, it would be impossible for both of those Host Families to control the Type Properties of the same Shared Nested Family in different ways, because you'd end up with a conflict in the Shared Family's Type Properties in the Project.

You must either change the Shared Nested Family's Parameters to Instance Parameters, or use a <Family Type...> Parameter method to control which Family Type of the Shared Nested Family is to be used.

(I don't have Revit 2015 to peek at your Family, so I'm assuming that the Parameters you're trying to link are Type Parameters.)

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

That must be the problem, I'm sure I have them as type parameters. I'll change those to instance parameters tomorrow and see how that works. Thanks for your help!