Thread: AEC walls in blocks break when edited.

Login to Give a bone

Default AEC walls in blocks break when edited.

Good Afternoon,

I had seen a couple of similar threads to this, but so far no clear solutions.
    Autocad Architecture 2015. I have various apartment units that need to appear in various configurations around the building, so each unit is it's own block (demising walls are just dumb lines). These blocks get rotated and mirrored in different places.
    Similar to other users, I'm finding that editing and saving the block will break much of the wall intersection and door cutting cleanup. Mirroring was mentioned a possible culprit, but I've confirmed this on blocks with no mirrored instances (as well as with only one instance). The previously suggested OBJRELUPDATE seems to help a small amount, but much of the block remains broken.

Any further ideas for this sort of thing?

Edit: Upon further inspection, it appears that restarting Autocad entirely will fix any currently broken blocks, but more show up as I continue to work, so that's obviously not a long term (or convenient!) solution.
    Last edited by mattjosephgordon681827; 2014-10-21 at 07:42 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AEC walls in blocks break when edited.

I did the block for a unit thing often and found it very reliable if you only edit in place blocks not mirrored. Once edited though they are forever damned so I wonder whether you are referring to a block problem that you have already caused by editing it in mirrored orientation. If the only block present is mirrored, then I would look at the prop pallete, change the -1 scale to 1 and then edit and then change the 1 back to minus 1. If you have problem blocks now, I suggest marking it's insert point, exploding and redefining and then let me know if it still causes problems. I would suggest it won't any more but interested to know if it does. Even if the block seems to fix, it really is only waiting for you to look away for it to loose it's bearings again. Exploding and remaking is the only way to fix and just don't edit a mirrored block with aec items.

Login to Give a bone

Hi Neje,

As mentioned, this is happening to all blocks, including ones with no mirrored instances. It even occurred on a block with only three walls in a completely new drawing, so its not like its an error that compounds.
    Exploding and remaking might fix the errors, but wouldn't that completely destroy the convenience of using blocks in the first place?

It also appears that I don't have to totally close Autocad to get it to fix itself, just close and reopen the drawing. Now obviously this still isn't a good workflow, but I guess this means there's some deeper level regeneration function that the program doesn't give you access to?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

mmm ok. You have all the tricks I know about and I've not had that happen outside the mirror problem.

Exploding and remaking fixes a house block that you have accidentally edited while it was mirrored and assuming you have multiple copies of that block in your drawing and you use the same name, it will recreate the block and update all existing incidences so it's a handy fix.

I wonder whether it's another problem, just something to do with cleanups generally. I still have issues with cleanups at times, most times I can ignore them. Blocking the walls just forces the fail. I know when it fails that windows no longer cut walls and so aecElevs fail etc etc. Real pain.
    Perhaps you have 2 blocks against each other causing the cleanup issues? ie 2 units with a party wall.
    X-ref'ing can make the situation worse.
    Does it happen automatically (instantly) or over time?
    If you think it would help you could post a scrapped down drawing and we can take a look.
    Sorry, can't think of any other tips.

Login to Give a bone

This happens to me a lot. I know most the tricks mentioned, and yes sometime it helps and sometimes it doesn't.
    I think its some kind of a caching issue, since I can save a problematic block, reopen aca and it opens just fine...