Thread: Layers for Objects

Wish List Administration

Default Layers for Objects

Summary: Renaming

Description: When renaming an object, the software should rename the layer associated with it.
    i.e. You create a surface and decide later you want it to have a different name.
    When you rename it, the layer should get renamed as well.
    A toggle for such would be good if others like it the way it is.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD Civil 3D - Alignments

Submitted By: Chris Cook on 10/22/2014

Default Re: Layers for Objects

Quote Originally Posted by Wish List System View Post
    Summary: Renaming

Description: When renaming an object, the software should rename the layer associated with it.
    i.e. You create a surface and decide later you want it to have a different name.
    A toggle for such would be good if others like it the way it is.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD Civil 3D - Alignments

Submitted By: Chris Cook on 10/22/2014
    1- ... What a horrifying thought. *cringe*
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

I could stop if I wanted to

what is the cringing part. I am not necessarily in need of this option in my workflow but as he asked for you could toggle for a new layer or not your option

Quote Originally Posted by remi678731 View Post
    what is the cringing part. I am not necessarily in need of this option in my workflow but as he asked for you could toggle for a new layer or not your option
    All of it, really... What part(s) of this wish do you actually endorse?

The prospect of modifying the Name Property of a Civil 3D Surface (to use OP example), and having the Layer it currently resides on also renamed (not necessarily CLAYER either), is a nightmare of immense proportion for anyone who uses C3D for daily production, let alone those responsible for conceptualizing, implementing, and maintaining any semblance of C3D Styles, and Standards.

Everything from basic LAYISO, Layer States, Viewport/VPLAYER settings for myriad sheets where VISRETAIN == 1, etc. would be affected the moment you open any drawing that externally references the modified drawing... Care to venture a guess at the impact on C3D Styles with Layer specified settings? If not noticed at drawing open and saved, such changes quickly become even more time consuming to correct, due to propagation through that and any other project without File History, and/or each-and-every-single-save backup replication to rely on to restore an entire project (thus potentially loosing work in the process of rectifying such a disaster).

While I quite enjoy learning of how others, particularly competitors stubbornly continue in their ways rather than adopt a more proficient, and efficient workflow (where new ACAD feature is not always more efficient)... Even I wouldn't wish this on my most fierce competitor, toggle or no toggle.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

You create a surface and decide later you want it to have a different name.
    All my surfaces are on C-TINN anyway....

IMO - Civil 3D needs a lot of things, but this isn't one of them.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

All AUGI, all the time

I can actually see a use for this, but only when the Object Layer Setting (OLS) for said object(s) are set to add a prefix/suffix using the * option to add the name of the object. So you initially create a surface named EG, the surface is placed on the C-Surf-EG. Your boss doesn't like the name EG, says change it to ExistingGround. Knowing that the OLS always places objects on a layer with a matching name, 4 months later when I am asked to work on a file that you created, it would be easier for me to work with the file where the layer name included the correct object name.

That being said, I would probably never use a tool like this myself.