Thread: Linetype Mystery

Login to Give a bone

Question Linetype Mystery

Hi Folks,

Our office has a mystery involving a linetype, specifically a treeline type. I've attached a screenshot of the issue. What you'll see there is a polyline that is displaying as dots that should be displaying as a series of half circles. The desired linetype is also in the screenshot, displaying correctly, which is coming from an xref drawing.

When working in the xref drawing, the linetype works as expected. No problems.

When working in the active drawing, the linetype appears as dots.

We have purged the problem linetype and then brought it back in with the same results.

We've also copied the linetype from the xref drawing into the current drawing. Same results.

In my research, I'm suspicious that the shapes that are used to create this linetype are somehow wacky or improperly defined in the current drawing. So, when AutoCAD attempts to display the half-circle shapes, they don't appear. I'm pretty fuzzy on how to verify this theory or correct the problem, if that is the issue.

Any insight or suggestions would be most welcome!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Linetype Mystery

Quote Originally Posted by driggins View Post
    Hi Folks,

Our office has a mystery involving a linetype, specifically a treeline type. I've attached a screenshot of the issue. What you'll see there is a polyline that is displaying as dots that should be displaying as a series of half circles. The desired linetype is also in the screenshot, displaying correctly, which is coming from an xref drawing.

When working in the xref drawing, the linetype works as expected. No problems.

When working in the active drawing, the linetype appears as dots.

We have purged the problem linetype and then brought it back in with the same results.

We've also copied the linetype from the xref drawing into the current drawing. Same results.

In my research, I'm suspicious that the shapes that are used to create this linetype are somehow wacky or improperly defined in the current drawing. So, when AutoCAD attempts to display the half-circle shapes, they don't appear. I'm pretty fuzzy on how to verify this theory or correct the problem, if that is the issue.

Any insight or suggestions would be most welcome!
    In both your XREF Drawing, and Active Drawing, what are each LTSCALE, MSLTSCALE, and PSLTSCALE set to?

If all three are set == 1, then the annotation scale controls the display of your Drawing's linetypes... Given you're using C3D, I should think this would be a prudent selection.

If all three are already set == 1, then there's clearly another issue at play.

Cheers

[Edit] - If something in the drawing is corrupt, you might also consider WBLOCK Command to extract only what you need (after an AUDIT, and/or RECOVER?), and subsequently test the resultant Drawing.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Reload the linetype in each drawing, save and reopen. Different drawings by different people can have different linetypes with the same name. Always wondered why listing a linetype isn't a command in AutoCAD.

Linetype Scale is set on the Display tab of a Figure Style so a figure and a polyline with the same linetype (or a different Figure Style) can look quite different even in the same drawing.

Is the xref in a different folder? Could the shape file for the tree linetype be in that folder?

Login to Give a bone

Open the base drawing, erase everything except the geometry in question, save a copy.
    Open the parent drawing, erase everything except the xref, save a copy.

Upload both drawings here, plus the shape file (.shx) if any used in the linetype.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |