Thread: Custom Labeling Exterior Elevations - Keynotes?

Login to Give a bone

Default Custom Labeling Exterior Elevations - Keynotes?

I am trying to create an exterior elevation drawing as shown in the attached image. We typically assign a numeric value to each unique item in the exterior elevation which is associated with a legend or schedule where each numeric value describes the particular item on the exterior elevation. I thought I could use keynotes for this but after reading up on keynotes and watching a few videos, I am not sure. My understanding is that keynotes reference a txt file which is associated with the project. You cannot associate more than one txt file per project. The default txt file shows the specification number with a written description which is not what we want. I would want to create a txt file that has a numerical value of 1 through whatever and then the written description just for exterior elevation drawings. I understand you can add the numeric value in the keynote area within the item family type such as a wall, window or door. One question would be, what happens if you have 2D line work or some other item on the exterior elevation drawing that does not have a keynote entry?

My main question is, should I even be considering keynotes to accomplish what I am wanting to do and if so, how would one go about it?

I guess I could try custom tags but then I am pretty sure I could not create a legend or schedule that would correlate with the tags like a keynote legend. This is my first time working through a Revit project in construction documentation so I could be looking at this completely wrong. If I have to completely change our approach to noting exterior elevations, I will, but I wanted to be sure there was or was not a way to accomplish what we have been doing.

Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Custom Labeling Exterior Elevations - Keynotes?

Look for note bloc

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dhurtubise View Post
    Look for note bloc
    Look for Note Bloc???? I appreciate the response but being a little cryptic, aren't we?

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Login to Give a bone

This was a fun one. I did it without using the Note Block Schedule. Just a drafting view (that looks like a schedule) and a custom annotation family (that looks like a tag) . Although you could also use the Note Block schedule along with this.
    I have built a family and a sample project that solves this problem (or at least what arcitect needs) but I don't see an attachment option here in the forum ? Perhaps my permissions don't allow although it says I have attachment permission ?
    This solution is parametric but not not fully automatic and subject to human error but it works quite nicely.
    Here are links below to an image, the family itself and a project file that has the family loaded with drafting view forming the material list. One elevation and the main drafting view are placed on a sheet.
    Using the Create Similar works good and makes things easier when adding new instances in both the elevation views and drafting view. In fact you can just copy them and change the information.
    There are two main family 'types'. The type that goes on the drafting view for the make-shift schedule and the types that are spread out in the plan and elevation views.
    http://www.cadclips.com/downloads/ex...ish_family.PNG
    http://www.cadclips.com/downloads/ex...ish_family.zip

* If you need the Material Schedule (in the drafting view) on more than one sheet you can make a 'group' of the contents of the drafting view and then copy and 'paste to same place' to additional drafting views. Edit the group to make changes and all sheets would update.
    ** Keep in mind you could in fact easily do this with a generic 'tag' (instead of generic annotation) and schedule it properly, you just need to use 'shared parameters'.
    Last edited by cadclips; 2014-10-28 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Updated family and project file