See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: drawing scale model space

Login to Give a bone

Default drawing scale model space

often wondered this--is full scale(1-1) the default scale for model space drawing--AND-OR-the only scale possible?? not that i want to but can one draw in model at any scale other than full or 1-1?? thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: drawing scale model space

Quote Originally Posted by caduser50R View Post
    often wondered this--is full scale(1-1) the default scale for model space drawing--AND-OR-the only scale possible?? not that i want to but can one draw in model at any scale other than full or 1-1?? thanks
    You CAN draw at any scale in model space, if you really wish to do so.
    It's generally frowned upon, though. You'd typically want to obtain the scale through the paperspace representations.

The oldest cad files I've worked on were drawn to scales, as they were prior to ps, but, as I worked with them, I always scaled them up to 1:1 and added layouts to them (layouts for printing from, but, I also needed them in order to add the files to my Sheet Set Manager).
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

I would strongly recomment drawing items that represent "real-world" objects in Model Space at full size (1:1) and, as Melanie mentioned, using a layout viewport to scale the objects to fit on your sheet in the layout (which is then typically plotted at 1:1 for a full size sheet). That said, the annotation scale while working in Model Space would typically not be 1:1, but set to whatever scale you intent to show any annotation items added in Model Space.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    ...The oldest cad files I've worked on were drawn to scales, as they were prior to ps, but, as I worked with them, I always scaled them up to 1:1 and added layouts to them (layouts for printing from, but, I also needed them in order to add the files to my Sheet Set Manager).
    Before Paper Space, we still drew real-world objects at full size; we just scaled our title blocks up and then plotted them at the intended drawing scale. That worked well enough for drawings with one main drawing, such as a plan drawing, or a series of drawings at the same scale (elevations, wall sections). Detail sheets, with multiple drawings at multiple scales were often done with the individual drawings done full size, in separate files, and then inserted or externally referenced (if XREFs predated Paper Space - I am not sure about that) into the "sheet" file and the inserts scaled to fit the scale of the title block. My, that was a LONG time ago!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch View Post
    Before Paper Space, we still drew real-world objects at full size; we just scaled our title blocks up and then plotted them at the intended drawing scale. That worked well enough for drawings with one main drawing, such as a plan drawing, or a series of drawings at the same scale (elevations, wall sections). Detail sheets, with multiple drawings at multiple scales were often done with the individual drawings done full size, in separate files, and then inserted or externally referenced (if XREFs predated Paper Space - I am not sure about that) into the "sheet" file and the inserts scaled to fit the scale of the title block. My, that was a LONG time ago!
    That's what I was taught in school as well, but, unfortunately, not everyone else operated that way. There were plenty of drawings in the hospital's archives that had the titleblock drawn 1:1 and the contents at a scale.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

thanks wanderer for your response
    question
    if you can draw at any scale while in model space-- say in ADT 2006 that I use--how would you do it?? would a scale choice be avail --say in options or what-- eg when you open a new drawing--drawing 1--how would you "set" the scale your drawing at other than 1:1? to say 1/4 or 1/2"=1' etc--i've always assumed that the default or only scale available in model is 1-1 that is present when you first start drawing without doing anything to the adjustments of the drawing??

Login to Give a bone

thanks wanderer for your response
    question
    if you can draw at any scale while in model space-- say in ADT 2006 that I use--how would you do it?? would a scale choice be avail --say in options or what-- eg when you open a new drawing--drawing 1--how would you "set" the scale your drawing at other than 1:1? to say 1/4 or 1/2"=1' etc--i've always assumed that the default or only scale available in model is 1-1 that is present when you first start drawing without doing anything to the adjustments of the drawing??
    ADT 2006 predates annotative scaling in vanilla AutoCAD. Real-world items, like Walls, Doors and Windows should be drawn "full size" - if the Door is supposed to be 3'-0" wide, it should measure 3'-0" wide. Annotation items are where drawing scale enters in. If you are using ADT annnotation content, drawing scale does need to be set to what you plan to plot the drawing at, so that the annotation is created at the proper size. I do not have 2006 in front of me right now to recall where the command is in the interface, but you will want to open the Drawing Setup dialog (typing AECDWGSETUP at the Command: prompt should work) and, on the Scale tab, select the drawing scale at which you intend to plot the annotation you will be adding. This only affects ADT content, not vanilla AutoCAD content. For AutoCAD content, you will need to do the math and set text heights and block scale factors based on the intended plot scale and desired height when plotted.