See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for accomodating colorblindness?

Login to Give a bone

Default Tips for accomodating colorblindness?

So, I've been with my new company for a year, but, have only really started helping out with the cad drawings recently, on some rush proposals.

I have been doing my own thing. On existing drawings, using whatever the last architect had established for colors, on new drawings, using the same thing I picked up from the last company I worked (high-contrast colors for major things like walls and equipment and lighter colors for unimportant things like furniture and doors).

Today I was asked to modify my plans because our owner is colorblind.
    I quickly switched the doors and furniture to darker colors so he could see them more easily.

But, I was wondering what others do out there to account for this?

Thanks!
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Tips for accomodating colorblindness?

How does the color blind owner view the drawings?
    Printed drawings or on a computer screen?
    If printed, how do you print (color or B&W)?
    Do you use plot styles?

I don't know much about color blindness, but I assumed everything looks like black/white and shades of gray right?

If printed black and white, you could simply create a CTB file that would print with desired line weights and keep the colors you use.

Just a suggestion... not much help, sorry

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    I don't know much about color blindness, but I assumed everything looks like black/white and shades of gray right?
    No, it doesn't mean a total lack of color. Its just that some colors are hard to distinguish from other colors, and only certain colors. For example, my brother has trouble with yellows, some greens look orange or brown. Blues are fine. So, she would have to accommodate her boss's weak areas and it wouldn't necessarily apply to anyone else.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

If viewing in CAD, (customizable) tooltips or quick properties in newer versions may also be of use, as the owner could easily identify anything with a momentary hover (my preference), or selection respectively.

It it may also be useful to provide a small contingent of commands that the owner could easily use to modify layer colors, if not simply apply a layer state that is added to each drawing they open... Particularly if you use standardized layers and colors for production, and the owner is the only deviation, this could be made automagic for their workstation alone.

Let me know if any of this would be useful, as I'd gladly donate some code.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    ...I don't know much about color blindness, but I assumed everything looks like black/white and shades of gray right?
    Approx 1 out of 10 people have some level of color blindness. Most of them have no idea - since the universe has _always_ looked like that to them. Red-Green and Yellow-Blue are the most common, with RG a bit more prevalent (Red was the last color primate eyes evolved to distinguish). Unless the color blindness is total -- the person can see colors, it's just that some appear similar to each other when they are not. color 15 and 95 for example, may be perceived as identical .

One of the engineers I work closely with has some RG colorblindness - so greens, reds, and related colors are very similar in appearance to his eyes. My workaround is basically giving him PDFs and hard copies- black lines on white paper works. PITA when he grabs a black pen to do red-lines though.... since I find black markups harder to spot that nice clear red lines and text.

random trivia -- butterflies can see 5 primary colors, vs the 3 humans can. Mantis shrimp can see 16.... http://theoatmeal.com/comics/mantis_shrimp

Login to Give a bone

Could be worse... Imagine if the engineer drew their 'red lines with transparent ink'

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

[Edit] - half joking, just go into their office and replace all black pens with red, or send them PDF to markup (you can change their comment color later). LoL

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I have a company lisp file that creates all of our layers and sets their colors. In my case I would either create a modified version that would allow for that one person to easily view the drawings, or simply change the company layer standard and .ctb and move forward without having to make concessions for that one person.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradomrg View Post
    I have a company lisp file that creates all of our layers and sets their colors. In my case I would either create a modified version that would allow for that one person to easily view the drawings, or simply change the company layer standard and .ctb and move forward without having to make concessions for that one person.
    I guess you guys hit the high points, I'm not certain exactly what his weak points are yet. So, I'll have to speak with my boss or the owner about it if I want to get specific. My boss seemed to indicate yellow, cyan and green were a problem. Adding some lineweights should help on iffy colors, but, I'd rather just simplify my life and avoid their usage.

The owner will view either the pdf or a printout of the pdf. All of the drawings I am asked for are in color, so I'd like to keep it that way for the remaining users (vps, department heads, etc).
    BlackBox, appreciate the offer, but, I work for a financial services company, my owner has never used anything remotely like cad. I had to demand a full version when I got here, as the other users in my department are all on LT. But, you know, a diva like me, I'm not going without my automation.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    The owner will view either the pdf or a printout of the pdf. All of the drawings I am asked for are in color, so I'd like to keep it that way for the remaining users (vps, department heads, etc).
    BlackBox, appreciate the offer, but, I work for a financial services company, my owner has never used anything remotely like cad. I had to demand a full version when I got here, as the other users in my department are all on LT. But, you know, a diva like me, I'm not going without my automation.
    No worries; that just simplifies the entire matter.

Here's an old LISP that essentially stores the current (temporary) layer state, restores a pre-existing 'plot' state, QSAVE's the drawing (which with AUTOMATICPUB == 1 here, also produces a PDF via named page setup; assumes same CTB, etc.), and then automagically restores the temporary layer state to continue working... Simply change the 'plot' and 'temp' global variable strings at the top, and ensure the former exists within the active document (added to your template?):

Code:
    (vl-load-com)
    ;;;--------------------------------------------------------------------;
    ;;; Define layer state names:
    (setq *cqs_plotLayerStateName* "Colorblind")                            ; Colorblind friendly
    (setq *cqs_tempLayerStateName* "Temporary")                             ; Temporary
    ;;; Check At Drawing Open:
    (if (layerstate-has *cqs_tempLayerStateName*)                           ; If snapshot exists,
      (layerstate-delete *cqs_tempLayerStateName*)                          ; Then, delete it
    )
    ;;; Main function:
    (defun c:CQS () (c:ColorblindQuickSave))
    (defun c:ColorblindQuickSave (/ *error* cmdecho)

(defun *error* (msg)
        (and *cqs_tempLayerStateName*
             (layerstate-restore *cqs_tempLayerStateName*)
             (layerstate-delete *cqs_tempLayerStateName*)
             (not
               (vla-regen (vla-get-activedocument (vlax-get-acad-object))
                          acAllViewports
               )
             )
        )
        (and cmdecho (setvar 'cmdecho cmdecho))
        (cond ((not msg))                                                   ; Normal exit
              ((member msg '("Function cancelled" "quit / exit abort")))    ; <esc> or (quit)
              ((princ (strcat "\n** Error: " msg " ** ")))                  ; Fatal error, display it
        )
        (princ)
      )

(if (= 1 (getvar 'dwgtitled))
        (if
          (or
            (layerstate-has *cqs_plotLayerStateName*)                       ; If plot state exists,
            (layerstate-import                                              ; Or plot state is imported
              (strcat "YourFilePath\\" *cqs_plotLayerStateName* ".las")
            )
          )
           (progn
             (setq cmdecho (getvar 'cmdecho))
             (setvar 'cmdecho 0)
             (layerstate-save *cqs_tempLayerStateName* 255 nil)
             (layerstate-restore *cqs_plotLayerStateName*)
             (if (= 0 (getvar 'automaticpub))
               (prompt "\n** Autopublish not enabled ** ")
             )
             (command "._qsave")
           )
           (prompt (strcat "\n** Layer state \""
                           *cqs_plotLayerStateName*
                           "\" not found ** "
                   )
           )
        )
        (prompt "\n** Drawing not titled ** ")
      )

(*error* nil)
    )
    (princ)

Cheers
    Last edited by BlackBox; 2014-11-10 at 05:54 PM.

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    No worries; that just simplifies the entire matter.

Here's an old LISP that essentially stores the current (temporary) layer state, restores a pre-existing 'plot' state, QSAVE's the drawing (which with AUTOMATICPUB == 1 here, also produces a PDF via named page setup; assumes same CTB, etc.), and then automagically restores the temporary layer state to continue working... Simply change the 'plot' and 'temp' global variable strings at the top, and ensure the former exists within the active document (added to your template?):

Code:
    ;; Code revised, see above

Cheers
    Cool. Thanks.

Sadly enough, I have no template here yet. Last week was really the first time I started a drawing from scratch and I just went on autopilot. Everything else I've been modifying drawings that originated outside of our company.
    I should get around to it... eventually.

(I've been trying to keep my head down about CAD issues, I do not want to be made responsible for it here. Though the person currently 'in charge' of the archives is pretty overworked with other things, so I help out when I can... but, I don't want to be TOO helpful, ya know.)
    Last edited by BlackBox; 2014-11-10 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Code revised, see above
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast