Thread: Instance of Linked File - Spaces

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Instance of Linked File - Spaces

We ran into an interesting issue the other day on an old file. This project includes multiple Arch models to create the full background. We were having issues getting our spaces to "read" the room info correctly.

What we discovered is that Revit seems to keep an order to linked files and the rooms will be defined by the link that is first in line. In our case we had our "tenant" model get deleted by a user and synched which we had to then re-link to get resolved. This moved that link to the end of the line and any new spaces would no longer recognize the room information from that link because it was now looking at the "shell" model.

I can delete the other two links and re-link to correct the order but just wanted to check to see if there might be another way. We have everything hosted to these links so we lose hosting by doing this which really sucks (although not as bad w/ this project since it is nearly built).

thanks in advance

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Instance of Linked File - Spaces

When you re-linked the model, did you remember to toggle on ROOM BOUNDING in the Type Properties dialog box?

Login to Give a bone

I find it interesting that it worked at the start and it no longer works now. When we have that issue we have to link the secondary model into the primary arch model as an overlay. Similar to this post

Login to Give a bone

yeah, room bounding is ON and spaces fit out the "rooms" correctly but when the SNU is run the space names come up w/ the "Shell" model room. And in this case all the spaces in an area reference the same "room" in the shell model.

This was a long drawn out design over 8months or so and it worked fine. We did do an update fairly recently but I have narrowed the problem down to when the linked file needed to be re-linked. I've tested this w/ some sample test models to replicate the issue and it works the same. Just can't figure out if there's a way to re-order or somehow define one model as the priority link that would get the room references correct.

thanks,

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

That sucks. I hope the offending user was strung up and whipped with a USB cable for deleting the linked model.
    I can only imagine the headache that caused, not just with the rooms, but all of your linked view settings probably needed to be redone, no?

Login to Give a bone

yeah, we fired them on the spot. j/k, I'm not sure we ever figured out who was responsible but it was a big mess and we've never actually resolved all the hosting issues. After that tho we started putting any linked models into design options so that they became unselectable because it really was so easy to select links or delete. This worked really great just from a user standpoint in that you no longer would struggle w/ selecting links when trying to select your own model content. Now that 2014 has the "select links" button we don't use the design option anymore but it worked well for us for the time. R2009-2013.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

We've done the design options things with links, too.