Thread: Parametric History/Action list or Parametric Schematic view

I could stop if I wanted to Richard McCarthy's Avatar

I do really think Revit definitely needs these features... I am not sure if I have mention them before, I am extremely lazy to check them right now...

I think Revit is great tool, but it can be the greatest tool if it can REALLY exploit it's PARAMETRIC capability if it can have like a left vertical menu bar like the "history" bar of CATIA, or that feature of Houdini, or MAX schematic/Modifier tool bar list... basically, you can shuffle the "modifier" or action you did to the model, and see the changes instantly. It would be great as design changes means a lot of things has to be consider, with something like this, more design option can be layout, (as in design option 1, 2, 3, 4) and see how it affect the design instantly. (or a Linking structure where user can "link" modifiers/options to shapes/walls/entities and instantly see the changes through this linking relationship)

Please PLEASE give us this option ... we want to control the power of parametrics

Another thing, I heard Frank Gehry have been working with CATIA for some time now, and it's now working closely with Dassult (CATIA maker) to bring out a architectural oriented CATIA, I hope Revit catch on on this quick as it might cut into Revit's interest. And I LOVE Revit

100 Club

Default Re: Parametric History/Action list or Parametric Schematic view

Interesting.. as Dassault was one of the Revit investors pre-Autodesk...Keep us posted...

I could stop if I wanted to robmorfin's Avatar

That's a very good wish, but Revit starts behaving very slow after a while, having live properties, modifiers and history would make it impossible to work with (i'm using a P4 2.4GHz w/ 1GB Ram, 50 GB free in Harddrive).

Also I think that Revit should partner with Robert McNeel, to include Rhino as part of Revit, making this way the most powerful parametric modeling tool in the market, because nurbs can be as parametric as you want.

Frank Gehry uses Rhino in his projects before Catia, the designs are not made in Catia, they are in Rhino, Rhino is not expensive at all, also his creator is the same creator of Revit's Accurender, we could use the full version too; Are the Revit guys mad at Robert McNeel?

I could stop if I wanted to Richard McCarthy's Avatar

Bump Bump!
    I think this is still relevent wish... To be able to see EXACTLY what action (namely what function/button) you did before in a list (ala' Photoshop's Undo list) can be a HUGE saver. (not just huge, I think TITANIC is the word...)

Maybe.. just maybe... "Multi-path history" should be included as well (like photoshop) anyone...?

If that's do-able, I think creating an action macro-scripting won't be too hard to implement either... again, "just like photoshop", if we can just record "actions" and be able to re-use those actions, it could make a lot of repetitive task a thing of task. I think also to include the ability to reshuffle the actions around (eg. create wall, then floor) ... this might be ONLY the first step though, I like to see FULL schematic diagram action palette that you can link and unlink actions... like in most of the 3D apps nowadays (eg 3DS MAX, XSI, Houdini, Maya), which combine with more robust modeling tool (NURBS, polymodeling, Sub-div) will really make Revit harness the power of parametric building modeling.

Imagine you model a curve wall with a spline and insert couple of doors into it.. Now you insert a new modifier into it (eg. convert wall to glazing wall and mullions) now you put in some doors.. into that glazing wall, next you decided to change the curve wall back to normal concrete wall... now this is what I think future really holds.. if we can just drag that "action" of convert wall to glazing wall modifier out, it will instantly revert back to the normal wall. I think this will truely make Revit powerful. Again, it's just a wish.. just a wish....