See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Drawing a line in model space

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Drawing a line in model space

You may have already mentioned this, but can you successfully debug from either VS Express or VS Ultimate?

As I jumped from Visual LISP to .NET (skipping VBA altogether), I'm afraid my usefulness here is running thin... I knew of the Magic Macro to help port VBA to VB.NET, but never bothered with it, as I had no VBA of consequence... Instead, I just started to learn how to port/replicate many of my Visual LISP functions as pure .NET. I did initially start coding in VB.NET as I felt it more familiar to read to that of Visual LISP syntactically, but quickly came to see C# as the stronger language, made the switch, and haven't looked back.

Now, it may just have been a slip of the keyboard, but to verify, you did install the ObjectARX SDK, and AutoCAD .NET Wizard (not the AutoCAD ARX Wizard), correct?

I know it can get confusing, but the ObjectARX SDK provides the managed assembly references needed to build & debug .NET projects (C#, F#, VB, etc.)... If memory serves, VS 2010 Express had separate installations for each C++, C#, and VB, unlike newer VS Express, and now VS Community. Also, keep in mind that you can use a newer VS IDE to develop for older versions of AutoCAD, so long as you've installed the appropriate ObjectARX SDK (and obviously AutoCAD, etc.); I use VS 2013 to build apps for 2010-2015, and now 2016 (in Beta).

In any event, I'm sorry that I've not been able to help - perhaps someone smarter than I will be along to educate us both as to the issue preventing successful debug. Grrr

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

thank you BB
    I'll have a look at those articles for sure this weekend

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    You may have already mentioned this, but can you successfully debug from either VS Express or VS Ultimate?

As I jumped from Visual LISP to .NET (skipping VBA altogether), I'm afraid my usefulness here is running thin... I knew of the Magic Macro to help port VBA to VB.NET, but never bothered with it, as I had no VBA of consequence... Instead, I just started to learn how to port/replicate many of my Visual LISP functions as pure .NET. I did initially start coding in VB.NET as I felt it more familiar to read to that of Visual LISP syntactically, but quickly came to see C# as the stronger language, made the switch, and haven't looked back.

Now, it may just have been a slip of the keyboard, but to verify, you did install the ObjectARX SDK, and AutoCAD .NET Wizard (not the AutoCAD ARX Wizard), correct?

I know it can get confusing, but the ObjectARX SDK provides the managed assembly references needed to build & debug .NET projects (C#, F#, VB, etc.)... If memory serves, VS 2010 Express had separate installations for each C++, C#, and VB, unlike newer VS Express, and now VS Community. Also, keep in mind that you can use a newer VS IDE to develop for older versions of AutoCAD, so long as you've installed the appropriate ObjectARX SDK (and obviously AutoCAD, etc.); I use VS 2013 to build apps for 2010-2015, and now 2016 (in Beta).

In any event, I'm sorry that I've not been able to help - perhaps someone smarter than I will be along to educate us both as to the issue preventing successful debug. Grrr

Cheers
    I successfully debug from VSExpress (at office), of which I have a separate C# installation as you correctly recalled.
    While I have problems with VSUltimate (at home).

My keyboard slip caused me to write "ARX" instead of "ObjectARX". The "magic" 2010-2012 download I told about was an .msi file to install ObjectARX(2010?) wizards. Actually the success was about the installing process ending successfully while previuos "pure 2010" installers failed for some "script" that couldn't be executed.
    but I must admit I still doubt what I actually succeeded in.
    As for AutoCAD 2010 NET wizards, I installed them before the ObjectARX odissey so that should not be the point of my debugging problems.

I'll try those two articles you suggested.

bye

Login to Give a bone

Hi BB
    while still stuck on my debugging problem with my home VS2010, I'm trying messing around with VS2010Express at work, after solving the veeery long netload file dialog loading time issue (it was due to a no longer valid path in the preferences ones: hope our AutoCAD masters provides they more recent version users with some clever clues about that after AutoCAD 2010...).

now I have one issue:
    "MySplitButton" project we discussed some days (and posts as well) ago in this same thread, run well on my home AutoCAD 2010 but it sucks when trying to use it at my office AutoCAD2010 (which is the very same version as my home one).
    upon calling "RibbonSplitButton" command it throws an ugly error barking about some access violation.
    all that above with just netloading it (no debugging).

so I debugged through it in my office VS2010Express and see it happens when hitting the following codeline
    Code:
     RibbonTab ribbonTab = ribbonControl.FindTab(ribbonTabId);

Login to Give a bone

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by RICVBA View Post
    JFYI: Kean's solution 3 did the trick!
    Glad you finally got the debugging issue sorted!

Sorry I haven't been able to help lately; I've been working ridiculous hours the past 2+ weeks, and it won't let up for a bit longer.

Cheers

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    Sorry I haven't been able to help lately;
    Well, you did actually!
    Thank you BB ($0.02 more...)

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by RICVBA View Post
    Well, you did actually!
    Thank you BB ($0.02 more...)
    That is kind of you to say; Grazie mille!

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

I have to start all over again!
    I had Autocad 2014 installed on work.
    So now I'm wondering what minimum Visual Studio version have I to start with and what kind of stuff (ObjetARX, Autocad Wizard) - and which version too - have I to install and in which order
    I could go through that painful "try-and-hope" path I remember last time, but that's all I remember: it was painful and I only succeeded thanks to forum people help, mainly BB's one
    So I'm first asking you if you could show me the right path.

thanks in advance

Login to Give a bone

No worries; let's get started....

First, what version(s) of AutoCAD and its verticals do you need to develop for?

It may also help to know why you're starting all over again; new computer/employer?

Cheers

Computer Specs:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast