See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Drawing a line in model space

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Drawing a line in model space

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    No worries; let's get started....

First, what version(s) of AutoCAD and its verticals do you need to develop for?

It may also help to know why you're starting all over again; new computer/employer?

Cheers
    Hi BB
    just glad you picked me up! (and I counted on this...)

my IT departmenet upgraded both PC and software, installing Autocad 2014.
    I also asked to install VS Community (remembering one old post of yours) but there are troubles since I don't belong to IT department thus not deserving expensive software but only free one!
    We're looking deeper at VS Community licenses to see which one fits for me as a hobby developer of software for internal usage only.
    At worst I'll switch to VS Express.

In the meanwhile I'm setting up my home PC, where at least I can install whatever I want, to match my work one so as to have identical developing environment

Just to prove I'm not only relying on some good willed man efforts, I googled here and there and came up to what follows:
    - I can install the last VS since I can then choose which NET framework to target
    - Autocad 2014 is build on NET 4.0
    - Object ARX same version as Autocad
    so I'd install VS express 2015 (namely "Express 2015 for Windows desktop"), but then I'm actualy stuck when it comes to deal with ObjectARX SDK, Autocad NET Wizards and the likes.
    I remember there was a sequence to follow (and, maybe, some older version to remove?) and I eventually ended without available NET help on line

so that's what you could start from!
    easy, eh?

Login to Give a bone

Sorry that I couldn't get back to you sooner; work has just been overwhelming lately.

Quote Originally Posted by RICVBA View Post
    Hi BB
    just glad you picked me up! (and I counted on this...)

my IT departmenet upgraded both PC and software, installing Autocad 2014.
    I also asked to install VS Community (remembering one old post of yours) but there are troubles since I don't belong to IT department thus not deserving expensive software but only free one!
    We're looking deeper at VS Community licenses to see which one fits for me as a hobby developer of software for internal usage only.
    At worst I'll switch to VS Express.

In the meanwhile I'm setting up my home PC, where at least I can install whatever I want, to match my work one so as to have identical developing environment

Just to prove I'm not only relying on some good willed man efforts, I googled here and there and came up to what follows:
    - I can install the last VS since I can then choose which NET framework to target
    - Autocad 2014 is build on NET 4.0
    - Object ARX same version as Autocad
    so I'd install VS express 2015 (namely "Express 2015 for Windows desktop"), but then I'm actualy stuck when it comes to deal with ObjectARX SDK, Autocad NET Wizards and the likes.
    I remember there was a sequence to follow (and, maybe, some older version to remove?) and I eventually ended without available NET help on line

so that's what you could start from!
    easy, eh?
    If I weren't a Microsoft BizSpark member, I would also be using a free version of Visual Studio, so don't fret not having expensive software. That said, you can sell software developed using the free versions of Visual Studio as an individual or a business, so long as you meet the requirements (more info online)... You *may* even be able to develop Office plugins using Community version now (not sure as I am using 2013/2015 Enterprise #BizSpark Haha).

Download either Visual Studio 2015 or 2013 versions (community or express) from here (scroll down).

Once Visual Studio is installed, the AutoCAD .NET Wizard will install some templates for use with Visual Studio, based on the language, and framework version you select at project creation. I believe Autodesk has since fixed the issue I experienced early on, but if not this thread may be of use.

In order for the AutoCAD .NET Wizard to work, you'll also need to obtain the ObjectARX SDK which provides the required assembly references; each product version has it's own SDK, so download all that you intend on supporting with your .NET apps.

Once you have each of these installed, you're ready to fire up Visual Studio and develop some software... You did already install AutoCAD, right? Haha

Last but not least, if you're not already an Autodesk Developer Network (ADN) Member, I'd strongly suggest you consider becoming an AUGI Professional Member, as it provides a FREE, one-year ADN Standard Membership (retail cost just reduced from $1,800 to $1,400 per user), which will grant you access to any Autodesk product, as well as ADN support for development issues, etc.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

thank you BB
    I'll go through your guiding lines
    But before that let me ask you the following:

1) so the installing sequence (if any) must be:
    - VS
    - Autocad Net Wizard
    - ObjectARX SDK
    right?

2) what about Autocad and ObjectARX on line documentation-Help installation?
    last time I manged so as to not access it from VS and had to make some workaround in order to get it

3) what about ObjectARX Wizards? are they useful? if so, when to install them in the above sequence?

ciao

Login to Give a bone

thank you BB
    I'll go through your guiding lines
    But before that let me ask you the following:

1) so the installing sequence (if any) must be:
    - VS
    - Autocad Net Wizard
    - ObjectARX SDK
    right?

2) what about Autocad and ObjectARX on line documentation-Help installation?
    last time I manged so as to not access it from VS and had to make some workaround in order to get it

3) what about ObjectARX Wizards? are they useful? if so, when to install them in the above sequence?
    Ciao, RICVBA!

1) I usually install AutoCAD, Visual Studio, ObjectARX SDK, then .NET Wizard

2) In one of the links I provided above, if you scroll down, there's a "Managed .NET" section, with a direct link to each version's .NET Developer's Guide; here's the link for 2014. Unfortunately, it's nowhere near as good, or robust as the Civil 3D .NET API Guide, but it should be sufficient for most common things. Ultimately though, you're going to become more dependent on Visual Studio's Object Browser, and the ObjectARX SDK Documentation here:

2015-08-18_13-15-42.png

3) Okay, so here's where it gets confusing... ObjectARX API (C++ for AutoCAD) is different from .NET API, however, ObjectARX is what is used to expose most .NET API functionality (sort of how .NET API can expose new, custom LispFunction Methods to expand LISP API), so to keep it 'simple', Autodesk releases one, single ObjectARX SDK which provides both ObjectARX & .NET assembly references for developers, but then splits the Wizards into .NET vs. ObjectARX... So, to develop in .NET API, you need only the ObjectARX SDK and the .NET Wizard. ObjectARX Wizard is only necessary if you intend to code in ObjectARX (C++).

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Ciao BB
    got a problem
    I installed
    1) Visual Studio Express 2015 for Windows
    2) ObjectARX SDK (executing Autodesk_ObjectARX_2014_Win_64_and_32Bit.sfx I downloaded from Autodesk site)
    3) Autocad .NET Wizards (exectuing AutoCADNetWizards.msi I downloaded from Autodesk site)

then I launched VSE2015 but found no Autocad Template available
    Is it a well known and solvable problem?

Login to Give a bone

fixed it, thanks to what I read in the thread you posted
    there I got that wizards get installed in some "...\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual C#\Autodesk" subfolder. so I searched for it through all my disks and found out that for some reason Autocad 2014 Net Wizards got installed in " ...\Visual Studio 2010\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual C#\Autodesk" subfolder.
    So I simply copied and pasted "\Autodesk" subfolder in " ...\Visual Studio 2015\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual C#\" folder.
    after launching VSE2015 there it was "AutoCAD 214 CSharp plug-in"!

now I begin trying to use it

Login to Give a bone

fixed it....
    Glad you got it sorted, RICVBA!

Ciao

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

Autocad 2014 and VSE2015 work fine

now I have problem with installing ObjectARX help
    I downloaded form here (had to choose by Autocad release year, thus "accepting" VS2012 instead of VS2015) and launched setup.exe. I chose "E:\ObjectARX 2014\Autodesk_ObjectARX_2014_Win_64_and_32Bit\doc" folder (since I installed ObjectARX in "E:\ObjectARX 2014\Autodesk_ObjectARX_2014_Win_64_and_32Bit") and it ended.
    but I don't know how to get to them while in Visual Studio

moreover in my above said folder I don't see files like those in your post #44 screenshot. instead I see
    - AdskManaged_2014.CAB
    - AdskNative_2014.CAB
    - helpcontentsetup.msha
    - MergeHelp.dll
    - MergeHelp
    (don't know how to attach a printscreen!)

Login to Give a bone

Autocad 2014 and VSE2015 work fine

now I have problem with installing ObjectARX help
    I downloaded form here (had to choose by Autocad release year, thus "accepting" VS2012 instead of VS2015) and launched setup.exe. I chose "E:\ObjectARX 2014\Autodesk_ObjectARX_2014_Win_64_and_32Bit\doc" folder (since I installed ObjectARX in "E:\ObjectARX 2014\Autodesk_ObjectARX_2014_Win_64_and_32Bit") and it ended.
    but I don't know how to get to them while in Visual Studio

moreover in my above said folder I don't see files like those in your post #44 screenshot. instead I see
    - AdskManaged_2014.CAB
    - AdskNative_2014.CAB
    - helpcontentsetup.msha
    - MergeHelp.dll
    - MergeHelp
    (don't know how to attach a printscreen!)
    When I install the SDK Documentation using ..\docs\Setup.exe, the files are located here OOTB, which I'll use in the following steps:

Code:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\Autodesk ObjectARX 20## Help Files\
    To manually add the ObjectARX Documentation to Visual Studio, try going to Help menu in VS, and select 'Add and Remove Help Content' menu item.

In the Microsoft Help Viewer dialog, go to Manage Content tab, set 'Installation source' radio button to 'Disk', then click on the ellipse button [...], navigate to the SDK Documentation install folder, select the 'helpcontentsetup.msha' file, and hit OK.

In the Microsoft Help Viewer dialog, you should now see the 'Autodesk, Inc. --> Autodesk ObjectARX (Native & Managed) --> Autodesk AutoCAD 2014, with an 'Add' link available under the 'Action' column. Click 'Add', and then in the bottom right, click the 'Update' button (mine has an Install Shield icon). A security alert will prompt you to accept the Autodesk signed content. Once complete, the 'Add' link will be changed to 'Remove', and you will now see the newly installed Documentation in the 'Contents' pane to the left.

Now, all that *should* be left to do, is go back to Visual Studio's Help menu, 'Set Help Preferences' menu item, and choose 'Launch in Help Viewer' (OOTB mine is set to 'Launch in Browser', which pulls from MSDN Help Online instead of Autodesk Help Online).

To test, select any AutoCAD Class (aka Type), such as Polyline, and hit F1 - Stupefacente!

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

and that was exactly it! as if you were by my computer...

now: how to pull from:
    - NET help
    - Autodesk Help Online
    as well?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast