See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: labeling ground and grid distances

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default labeling ground and grid distances

Greetings all,

I have been searching the interwebs for a solution to my current problem, but have not found one to my satisfaction. here is what I have: an almost complete drawing of an utility easement that at first had only Grid distances labeled on it. We got a new survey superintendant and he wants the ground distances labeled as well, he has given me a combined grid scale factor of 0.9999122 and I have attempted to apply this scale factor to my drawing, but I am not having any success.

I tried using the transformation tab and entering the previously mentioned grid scale factor, but when using the general segment geodetic distance label my geodetic distances don't match what he (the surveyor) calculated. I have thought about trying an expression to get the correct ground distances, but I would like to utilize what Civil 3D has if I can just figure out what setting needs to be changed.

As I said before I tried entering the grid scale factor under the transformation tab, and the geodetic distance label does change, just not to what has been calculated by the surveyor. And when i look at the geodetic calculator under the survey ribbon it shows the scale factor as something different from what i entered under the transformation tab. are these connected, or am I looking at two different things?

I have not had to deal with this issue before. We do our design drawings & our survey drawings up until now in grid distances I guess, but we do use a state plane coordinate system. What is a proper procedure so I can make sure I do these correctly from here on out? any help would be greatly apprciated.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: labeling ground and grid distances

Update FYI: I ended up using an expression to include the ground distances with the grid distances. Would still very much like to know if anyone knows how to get the geodetic distance label to work with the scale factor i was provided by our surveyor.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tntdraftsol View Post
    Update FYI: I ended up using an expression to include the ground distances with the grid distances. Would still very much like to know if anyone knows how to get the geodetic distance label to work with the scale factor i was provided by our surveyor.
    Thanks for posting your solution. Would you mind expanding on the expression you used to get the ground distance?
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    Thanks for posting your solution. Would you mind expanding on the expression you used to get the ground distance?
    Not at all. Our surveyor gave me a scale factor of 0.9999122 and I used that number along with the length property of alignment line segments to create the following expression under the alignment line label style:

Length*(1/0.9999122)

I made sure to format the result as a distance. I had to do this for the alignment curve label style as well. Once I had the expression created I added it to my alignment line/curve label styles so they would show up on my labels and also added an additioncal column to an alignment table to get these distances to display.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for expanding on your solution. I'm certain it will help others.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    Thanks for expanding on your solution.
    your welcome! Thanks for responding.

Login to Give a bone

We do basically the same thing create and expression (general Segment Length)*1.00008780770
    then create a line label style "jab ground" for the distance parameter <[GROUND DISTANCE(Uft|P1|RN|AP|GC|UN|Sn|OF)]>'