Thread: Adding a special identifier to Electrical Panel to show in Home Run tags

Login to Give a bone

Question Adding a special identifier to Electrical Panel to show in Home Run tags

Hello, this is my first post here. I'm trying to help out our electrical guys, but I'm not having any luck so looking for additional assistance.

Basically I'm tying to get a certain designation added to the home run leader tag without the information going into the panel schedule, but the value needs to be added to the panel (family properties) on an instance base so it will appear when circuiting.

For example our Panel name is P2, so when tagging the Receptacle, it reads "P2 - 1, 2" for example. We like to add a parameter so when we tag the power devices, the home run tag reads "P2 - 1, 2 - M", where M is the value we do not want shown on the Panel Schedule. We've tried a few different ways, and ended up adding a "Comment" parameter to the panel family and tag family which seems to work, but the process is manual. Meaning, for all items pointing to P2, we have to add the M manually to each home run tag.

Ideally we'd like to add the M one time to the panel family properties, then all items circuited to that panel would automatically add the M to their home run tags.

I hope that makes sense. I'm a little choppy with parameters in Revit, so I'm trying my best to explain (and understand). We also tried Shared Parameters adding that to the Project, Panel, and Tag, and they are all showing but the value we enter will not populate the tags as we need it to. We do add the Family Parameter to the tag so it reads "Panel - Circuit - Identifier", but the identifier doesn't show. It does show for our "Panel - Circuit - Comment", but again, that last is a tedious manual process. The Identifier was made as a Shared Parameter, Common, Text and categorized in Electrical, and Electrical circuits.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Adding a special identifier to Electrical Panel to show in Home Run tags

Some firms just use a single Wire from the last receptacle to indicate a home run. Revit adds an arrow to the end of the wire to indicate it is the home run. The wire can be tagged to identify the panel it is a home run for.

Since Revit is currently designed to use a Wire to determine and document the home run status of a receptacle, there isn't a way to make it automatically happen with a parameter and appear in a tag but you can still do what you describe, it just takes a little effort for each circuit.

Using a tag instead, the home run status should be an instance parameter (shared parameter) associated with a receptacle, not a panel, since the panel isn't where the home run is beginning, it's the destination. This parameter can be created as a Project Parameter and then assigned to the categories you intend to do this for instead of editing every family and adding it to them individually. Revit will just provide it in the Properties Palette whenever you select a family of the category(ies) that you select. Typically you would only added this value to one receptacle, of several, when they are all assigned to the same circuit, the last one or closest one to the panel would be where the home run would begin.

A shared parameter needs to be added to both the tag family and the Project Parameter for Revit to connect-the-dots and understand the parameter value uses the same definition. I find it helps to think of the shared parameter file as a dictionary where we store parameter definitions so we can use the same one in projects and families (tags are families too). The receptacle family should have your home run identifier parameter (again easier to do as a Project Parameter than editing each family) and the tag should too so that it can report the "M" you want to show. This way when you select a receptacle that should be considered the source of the home run, you enter the "M" and it will appear in the tag or you can just enter it into the tag when the "?" mark appears, when it is selected.