Thread: Help Selecting a New Computer

Login to Give a bone

Default Help Selecting a New Computer

I am starting to look into ideas for my next computer. I am an electrical designer who uses a lot of base AutoCAD and also AutoCAD Electrical. I also write a lot of job packages which requires me to go in the field to capture notes and images of equipment. At times I use Solid Works for light 3D modeling work but do not necessarily want to build a new machine just so that it can handle this task. I think it is more feasible to plan on doing this work on my old desktop as it is needed.

I would really like a laptop/tablet/2-in-1 so that I can become more mobile. My current setup is a desktop PC and an iPhone. I take pictures in the field, email them to myself, and then come back to the office to write the job package and do the design work. I want the power in a mobile machine so that when I am in the office I can dock it and work on my two large monitors, standard keyboard, and mouse setup just as if I were using a desktop. I would like for my machine to be mobile so that I can more easily respond to emails and work from home. This will also allow me to get more work done in the field. Having a not-so-giant machine that is light enough and includes a decent camera would allow me to take pictures and write job packages while in the field.

In my initial research I REALLY like the 2-in-1 ultrabook from Dell which has the display that rotates so that the device then acts as a tablet. I am not crazy about the 12" screen. I also do not believe that this will work as it is maxed at 8GB of RAM. I am looking more for 16GB, 64-bit Windows OS, a nice processor as well as nice graphics cards.

I'm curious if anyone has ideas of any machines that may suit my needs.

I could stop if I wanted to hugh.69031's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Help Selecting a New Computer

AUGI just swallowed a longish response (again)[1] that I will now summarise as

1. the Lenovo W540 is a beast, but it's big and heavy. Ram goes to 32Gb
    2. their T440s is crippled by Lenovo marketing wonks insisting that 4Gb be soldered down (a la Mac) and only one SODIMM slot be offered limiting total ram to 12Gb.
    3. the T440p has 2 SODIMM slots, so 16Gb.

If you can wait the (W)T4/550 family delayed by Intel's hassles with their mobile Broadwell will be interesting because of lower power == better life off AC and will, maybe, keep the matt IPS screen from the 440 and reintroduce proper trackpad buttons that went missing on the 5/440 family.

If not I suggest finding a preloved T430s or T420s whose twin SODIMM slots allow 16Gb. The T430 has a better intel GPU and of course a younger battery and the possibility of a residual, transferrable warranty.

All dock as requested.

There are other manufacturers of course and I hope others can contribute their suggestions.

Apple has just disappointed us bigtime with a MacBook's GPU desoldering problem being denied despite being a design flaw.

[1] Don't "Go Advanced" after remaining too long in "Quick reply" - seems you do have to be quick.