See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Revit on a tablet

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit on a tablet

Is anyone using Revit on a tablet? I've heard a rumor of someone using it on a Surface Pro 3. I'd be curious to hear of any success/horror stories of using it on a tablet.

Thanks in advance!

All AUGI, all the time kyle.bernhardt's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit on a tablet

Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    Is anyone using Revit on a tablet? I've heard a rumor of someone using it on a Surface Pro 3. I'd be curious to hear of any success/horror stories of using it on a tablet.

Thanks in advance!
    I use a Surface Pro 3 as my daily driver, and use Revit all the time as part of my day-to-day job at The Factory. With the keyboard and mouse hooked up, it's a perfectly viable, if a little small screen, device for using Revit. I've got the Core i7 model with 8GB of RAM. Now, if you are talking about driving Revit via touch/gesture input, or with the pen, then this is not an experience I'd recommend. The Revit UI was simply not designed for touch/gesture, and while you can make it work with the pen, I wouldn't recommend it for any prolonged production work.

If you're looking to view and present from the tablet, then I'd recommend you take a look at A360, and the ability to View via a full screen browser window....pretty useful.

-Kyle

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Not looking to run it via touch. That would just be.... redonkulous! I was just curious about a smaller, lighter option. And since it can be docked and you can use a keyboard and mouse.... it's a win/win!
    I'm currently kicking the tires on A360. A little disappointed that it doesn't play well with Internet Explorer although I can't say I'm surprised.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I've been using TeamViewer to remotely control my desktop on my tablet. Can hook up a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and works great. The only small limitation I've found is if the tablet registers a middle mouse button + swipe as a special gesture on the tablet. Meaning instead of panning in the Revit view it brings up another menu on the tablet. Easy to get around though. Just use another method to pan. Of course, this means being connected to the Internet. Power of my desktop with the portability of my tablet. Some don't like the slight lag when using remote desktop software but I've found that it corresponds nicely to the built-in Revit lag that is there anyways!