See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Reset F3 and F8 keys

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Reset F3 and F8 keys

So... new year, new job, new problems!

I am no longer the "head honcho" of autocad in my new role with a new company. This is good and bad... but mostly just different.

For whatever reason, this company had a programmer who reset all of the F keys to different snaps...

I can't work efficiently without some of my shortcut keys, just like most long time users of AutoCAD. I have managed to force autocad to accept my F3 and F8 back to osnaps and ortho. For some reason though I can't get it to on a co-workers machine who wanted the same functions back. When I hit the F3 or F8 it forces in "SHIFT+F3" or "SHIFT+F8" without allowing me to override the existing definition.

Any ideas?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Reset F3 and F8 keys

Look into the CUI. Hopefully, you can override the override to get back to normal.

Hopefully, you didn't have to complete a test with those overrides in place to get the job.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

No test... I may have shied away from this gig if I had known what I know today (4 days in).

I was made aware by the hiring manager, and a coworker (who I worked with at my previous employer for 15 years) that the system needed some help. My first day I was reminded that the system needed help and that I was to become best friends with the cad manager and make her life and mine easier. No issues there. The system as it sits is decent, but it seems some areas are over developed, and some very underdeveloped. For those that have had jobs with multiple companies, this is probably nothing new. This is only my second gig with 15 years in the industry though, so I'm going through some growing pains. I wasn't hired to be a cad manager, though they know my history and want my input and help once I'm up to speed on their standards.

The thing that is vexing me is, on my machine and one other co-workers, I was able to add my shortcut keys as desired and override the override. Though that's not really accurate, I was able to give my override priority is more like it. I've followed the exact same steps on each machine, and the third machine just won't cooperate. I'll keep futzing with it... it's probably something simple that I'm missing. I just thought maybe my #1 source of information might save me a little frustration

Login to Give a bone

Another option would be to restore the OOTB CUI either from the CD / Download / Deployment / or whatever. You would then need to transfer all of their customizations into a new company cui. Of course, that may be more than you want to tackle at this time.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Long term - I plan to implement or help implement a new set of tools... using a method that doesn't short circuit the built in autocad functionality. Short term I just want AutoCAD to behave similar enough to what I'm used to so that I can get my work done. Thankfully it's a coworkers machine, and not mine. I've read a few things about the order of the commands in the shortcut list, but can't seem to make any difference by reorganizing anything.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

If that's the only difference between the CUIX file on your machine and theirs you could just copy your CUIX file on to theirs.

Login to Give a bone

I wish Tom... the person who customized the system here went way above and beyond what I would deem necessary on some stuff... and in doing so whacked a lot of built in stuff that I'm slowly overriding to get back, at least on my machine. One of my least favorite things is that the company cuix duplicates much of the acad.cuix... meaning they didn't start with a fresh cui, and instead just copied and renamed acad.cuix and didn't erase the stuff that wasn't tweaked. I'm only in my second week here, so can't expect everything to be perfect yet