Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wide format plotters

Login to Give a bone

Default Wide format plotters

Hello AUGI,

We are in the market for new plotters. We are looking at Oce' Plotwave 750 and the Colorwave 650 or KIP's 7970 and KC7800. We do about 60,000 sq.ft. a month, mainly B&W but some color. I would like to hear from any of you who use these machines. I am currious about speed and up time.

Thanks,

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wide format plotters

IMO -- the biggest differentiator between Kip and Oce is how close you are to an authorized service, and how good their rep is.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by CADNate View Post
    Hello AUGI,

We are in the market for new plotters. We are looking at Oce' Plotwave 750 and the Colorwave 650 or KIP's 7970 and KC7800. We do about 60,000 sq.ft. a month, mainly B&W but some color. I would like to hear from any of you who use these machines. I am curious about speed and up time.

Thanks,
    Hi, Nate. I'm going to move this post from AutoCAD - Plotting to the hardware forum, more likely to get more eyes on it there.

Good luck on the choice.
    I've only used HP and Canon, but, I don't think they were exactly zippy. Though I had no complaints about uptime. Of the four HP's I had, I had to do two minor-ish repairs (belt on one, carriage on another). Didn't have the Canon's long enough to express an opinion.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

The Plotwave 750 is B/W only, but it's fairly high speed and should handle your 60k/month B/W printing with ease.
    I would not have a ColorWave if the majority of my printing was B/W. We have a less expensive wide format printer dedicated for color prints on the side.

Can't speak for the Kips unfortunately.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    Can't speak for the Kips unfortunately.
    I can... They're expensive, they're black-only laser in lieu of ink (color), and KIP willingly stops support for devices out on active leases.

When I was hired on here, they had +/- 10 months remaining on an existing 60 month lease of a KIP 3100 + stacker. Several times a week, the stacker would just not catch the paper correctly, resulting in what looked like a printer that threw up all over the floor. It scanned slowly, with low resolution (it was 50+ months old), and their software is antiquated.

It originally came with KIP Request 7 - their proprietary software for client side - which was only supported up to Win7 (that's fine), and was subsequently replaced by KIP Print (also okay). However, KIP decided that KIP Print was not going to support the KIP 3100 we had, despite our active lease, and myriad tech support calls, requests, and basically making this a huge thorn in our vendor's side until we replaced them both.

I considered Oce, and HP, as we were also interested in adding color capability, and ended up going with the HP T7100 + a standalone large format scanner, for the faster print rates, triple roll capacity, and lower cost (for the bundle, ironically).

The HP T7100 isn't without its own issues, but HP Services is actively working with me to resolve by publishing new firmware, etc. that got posted online yesterday, fixing multiple issues in one go.

So, to recap... Leased KIP for 4+ years, upgraded Server/Client Windows, and they wouldn't even support us through patch, etc. for the last year of our contract... We have a new HP for a few months, and they roll out all new firmware update to resolve most of the items I requested.

Again, this just my limited experience with both manufacturers.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

We have added the HP T7200 as an option for our color printing. We would add the third roll option. Does anyone have any experience with this machine. Pro's Con's?
    Thanks,

Login to Give a bone

We have added the HP T7200 as an option for our color printing. We would add the third roll option. Does anyone have any experience with this machine. Pro's Con's?
    Thanks,
    Never used it before, but after a quick glance at the spec sheets, the HP T7200 is +/- 2 inches wider, comes in all black, has a larger on-board HDD, handles the same media widths, uses the same ink cartridges, and has the same print speeds as the HP T7100... So I certainly hope you're not being charged much more!

Cheers

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Thanks,
    From what I can see, this is the de facto replacement for the DesignJet 4500.

We have had a 4500 for a bit over 8 years now with no major malfunctions - and we will almost certainly replace it with a T7200 soon.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    From what I can see, this is the de facto replacement for the DesignJet 4500.

We have had a 4500 for a bit over 8 years now with no major malfunctions - and we will almost certainly replace it with a T7200 soon.
    How much plotting do you do on your DesignJet 4500? Do you know how much you pay for toner a month?
    Thanks,

Login to Give a bone

How much plotting do you do on your DesignJet 4500? Do you know how much you pay for toner a month?
    Forgive the minor correction here, in an effort of saving you a great deal of time, and money through accidental supplies purchases down the road... DesignJet == Ink, Laser/LED == Toner... Very different animals, these are.

Cheers

Computer Specs:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast