See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Is it possible to transfer/import linked file override settings to other files?

Login to Give a bone

Default Is it possible to transfer/import linked file override settings to other files?

I have a project that I put in extensive time setting up view templates that apply custom overrides to each consultant's linked Revit model.

I have another project where of course there are different consultant models, but they're all from the same consulting firms, and as such would have the same categories in them. Is there a quick way to transfer the view template settings of linked files from one project to another? Because right now nothing is coming through.

Eventually I hope to figure out a way to get this set up in our project template.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Is it possible to transfer/import linked file override settings to other files?

open your new project and your old project and have the new project as the active window - go to manage and hit transfer project standards select "copy from" > old project. Then you can hit "select none" and just choose view templates. This way you can import ONLY the view templates, without losing or over writing any templates you already had made.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Is it possible to transfer/import linked file override settings to other files?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_L View Post
    open your new project and your old project and have the new project as the active window - go to manage and hit transfer project standards select "copy from" > old project. Then you can hit "select none" and just choose view templates. This way you can import ONLY the view templates, without losing or over writing any templates you already had made.
    I have done that already, but the View Template settings for RVT links do not seem to transfer over. That's what I really need.

Login to Give a bone

Just a thought, could you open your current model, do a save as, delete all the content in the model, use the reload from option to load in the new links and you'd have most things set up would you not. Only problem becomes shared coords and those you can usually fix.
    Just a thought.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    I have done that already, but the View Template settings for RVT links do not seem to transfer over. That's what I really need.

I believe it should have worked.

You need to detach from Central, the model that has all of the view templates / rvt link view overrides correct.
    The critical step is reloading the links. Do NOT delete the links that were previously set up (these should be the old consultant links). You'll need to "Reload From" in order to preserve the Revit link overrides. So, in the manage links dialogue select each link separately and Reload From replacing the old links with new links. If you have to introduce a NEW LINK, then you will HAVE to manage those visibility overrides manually again.

If you delete the links, and then add new links for your new project from the new consultants, the new links will automatically default to "By Host View" which is NOT what you want.

Nick Marzorati
    DLB Associates

Login to Give a bone

I just tried making "dummy" links of our consultant files by using the ones from my current project. In my current project I have a bunch of view templates in which I have all the RVT links with customized visibility/graphic overrides. I stripped out everything to make the "dummy" links, and linked those into my template. Then I tried transferring View Templates from my current project, but sure enough those RVT link overrides did not transfer. They all have reverted back to By Host View.

At this point I'll probably just go through all the RVT link categories and subcategories manually to make all the overrides match. It will save a ton of time later. Plus it's only 3 linked files so shouldn't be a big deal.

Login to Give a bone

Like many, I hoped the view template would provide a shortcut for handling the linked model's graphics. Unfortunately I read this post after trying it (but only once). I know that for any view other than one used to coordinate with the architectural model I don't want to see any MEP elements from the architectural model. These are basic categories of elements so why shouldn't I be able to control them across models?